Monday, June 25, 2007

Comment-o-Rama

As you may have surmised from some recent comments, I finally gave my family the link to this blog.

(Hi, Mom!)

On Saturday, I received an email from my niece (LadyKay's #2 kiddo), who is 20 (Oh my God, that can't possibly be right, can it? People with 20 year old nieces are old!) which included comments about several of my early posts.

Had she commented here on each individual posts no one would see them except new readers who are catching up (as she is).

But, sending it via email, I'm the only one who gets to see them.

And some of them are definitely worth reading.

So, with her permission, here are her comments about my first couple of months of posts.

(The links will take you to the original posts to which she refers.)

Along with a few counter-comments of my own.

Of course.


And, So, It Begins
"...followed her north to a very red area of a fairly blue state."


We should switch places?? 'Cause we're in a blue dot of a fairly red state...

Yeah, we don't like to talk about this, but my sister and her kids are - shudder - Republicans.

"What will I be writing about? Everything. And nothing. And a few things in between."

Oh!! Thank makes so much more sense than "Shrike and Whozat...between." Before I thought maybe you'd turned into a 14 year old... X-P heh.

"...perhaps, the occasional political rant."

You?? Nooooooo...you NEVER talk politics...roflmao

And, as a Republican, she kind of hates it when the Democrats in the family (ie - everyone else) talk politics. Which, I suppose, is understandable.

"...and tend to assume that everyone is just dying to hear exactly what I'm thinking, doing, or obsessing about at the moment."

Really? I hadn't noticed.

"...being a bum currently between assignments,"

Between assignments...gotta remember to call it that. :)

"...I realized that I'm starting to narrate my life in my head, as though I were writing a blog post."

That's just sad.

True enough.


Laissez le Bon Temps Rouler!
"If you can't read the packaging in the photo, let me explain. Ranger, the border collie-ish dog here, is one of several who run a day care. In this playset, Ranger is also operating an ice cream stand. The dog. Is selling ice cream. To be-diapered babies. With pigtails. Well, of course."

W. T. F.
Who the hell came up with THAT idea!? And when is CPS [Child Protective Services] going to check on their kids!?

"If anyone is interested (Bueller?) I'll be happy to post the recipes that I used for the cake, as well as the muffalettas and hurricanes."

I got the good stuff down here... X-P mwahaha


The Thinks I've Thunk: #1
"Food coloring bottles have always reminded me of tiny little men - gnomes, perhaps - wearing pointy, color-coded hats."

AHHHH!! They do!!!!!

"Is that wierd?"

Yes. Very much.


How Not to Cook a Pot Roast
"It seems that when I put the ceramic-put-the-food-in-it part of the crockpot into the metal-gets-hot-and-makes-it-cook part, I caught a bit of the cord between them. As it heated, the insulation on the cord melted and it must have shorted out."

THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T LEAVE THE CROCKPOT ON WHEN YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE YOU NUT BUCKET!!!!!!!!!! But I'm glad you still have a house. :)

That's the whole point of a crockpot, though. To cook dinner while you are gone all day!

A Word About Anonymity
"Hell, if they know my real name, they can just Google it, and all that info will probably come right up, because I've put it out there in about a zillion places, for one reason or another."

You are THE only [Whozat's real name, including hyphenated last name] on the planet. "[Whozat's real name, including hyphenated last name]" with the quotes brought up 676 hits on Google. All you.

"I like the idea of being free to rant about specific people or situations that piss me off, without worrying that the subject will read what I said."

And if they do read it, hell, even if they know it's them you're talking about: as long as you change the names they can't sue you. If you don't change the names they can attempt to sue you for crapping on their character. Then innocent have nothing to fear; all names have been changed to protect the author from the guilty.

Well, I also worry about pissing people off, or hurting their feelings or making it awk-ward when I have to continue to deal with them on a regular basis. But you do make a very good point about the legal issues. Of course, if it's true, it's not slander.

"Also, you've probably earned immunity from my public rants. Unless you really piss me off."

Dun dun dun.


And the Oscar for Most Inane Response Goes To . . . .
About Tammy Etheridge breastfeeding their twins:
"Or is that just what's to be expected of Joan Rivers?"

Yep...sad, isn't it?

"On the other hand, I saw the shots of Tammy in that strapless dress during the ceremony, and I certainly can't argue with Joan's assessment ;-)"

There's a show called Yes, Dear and there's one episode where the mom sneaks and breastfeeds her kid after having said she's going to wean. When the husband finds out about it he confronts her about her lying and says that if she's not ready to deal with that separation then she shouldn't force it and she breaks down and says she doesn't want to wean and loose the wonderful boobs! ROFL.


How To Make a Baby
How to make a baby checklist
1) Go to bar
2) Find willing "donor"
3) Consume alcohol
4) Go to bathroom with "donor"
5) Make baby
6) "Lose" his number

Of course, that's the evil way to make a baby...but it's ahellofvalot cheaper so things even out.

She makes a good point. A little hard to do the genetic screening that way, of course. And Shrike's not so keen on the idea.


Who's Your BabyDaddy?
"We also agreed that the third one (who turned out to not be "ID Consent") was a distant third choice, because we were less than impressed with his academic record and test scores. Is that elitist of us? We were saying "Well, we shouldn't rule him out completely . . . ." but then we kept finding ourselves referring to him as "the dumb guy.""

Yes, because of all the crap Hitler pulled about breeding a master race, we find ourselves feeling guilty about ruling someone out because of certain qualities. But think of it this way: if you were looking for a husband to father your children, would you choose someone who didn't challenge you mentally? No. You wouldn't. He'd have to be at least as smart as you, wouldn't he? Same thing, you're just taking out the insert tab A into slot B part...and the husband part.

"The sperm bank recommends that we choose at least three, since they can't promise that our first choice will be available."

You could always hack into the database, get his home address, knock on his door and say jack off into this cup. We want you.

Don't think we haven't considered it. Of course, if we're at, say a restaurant, and see a cute guy, we often joke about asking for a "to-go cup." Yeah, I know. Ew.

"Our better sides tell us that shouldn't matter and we should only get the adult photos of TheGuy, so that we can show them to the kid, but our shallower sides want to make sure he's cute!"

For the record, I LOVE looking at old pics of my ancestors (however distant or near they may be) at various ages and seeing/comparing them to pics of me at various ages and seeing all the similarities. It's neat.

Yeah, I'm kind of torn between wanting things to work out with BowTie, since we like him best, and hoping for Popeye, since we have more photos for him.


It Occurs to Me . . .
"That I've formatted our "donor wish list" in exactly the same way as the ingredients lists for the recipes I've posted. Is that wrong?"

I don't know about wrong but it is creepy as hell.


Our Other "Kids"
"How will you keep BigGaloot from eating the baby?"

Yeah, if only there were some piece of furniture that you could put the baby in where the dog couldn't get them...maybe something with bars and a soft pad for baby to sleep on...hrm...if only.

Touche' - But, note that this is coming from a person whom I'm not sure has ever seen the inside of a crib. My sis was an attachment parent before attachment parenting was cool.



Google Cooking: Chicken, Pineapple, Rice
"Googling "Chicken, Pineapple, Rice" (I think) gave me a recipe for Chicken Pineapple Stir-Fry, which I made for lunch today."

Why'd you google those ingredients?? That's easy: Hawaiian Chicken on a bed of rice.

That's what I wanted, but I didn't have a recipe. Shrike gets kind of nervous when I just "wing it" in the kitchen.

Google Cooking II: Broccoli Boogaloo
"So, back to Chef Google to search for "rice, chicken, broccoli."

Broccoli Rice Casserole!! Chicken either inside for a complete meal or on the side as the meat. Good night woman! Read a cookbook!!

Again, that's what I wanted, but it's much faster to Google the recipe than to read every cookbook in the house.


Saturday Meme
"1. Things that scare me: Bugs (especially roaches)"

Decapitated body of a poisonous snake in hand, she jumped on the table to flee from the tree roach and screamed Kill it, kill it, kill it!

True story. It happened at summer camp. I had just decapited the coral snake myself.

"10. Things I think you should listen to: Your heart, Your gut, Your partner"

Grandma says, "Your mother." She didn't really say that but I'm guessing she would.

Good point. Although, Shrike and I once had a long talk with them about our life plans (when we were considering our move to BlueState) and she talked about how, at some point, you have to live your life based on what's best for you, not based on making your parents, or anyone else, happy. It was kind of wierd. But very cool.


Family Day
"Shrike's grandma turned 81 on Thurday and, that same day, went into the hospital with some gastrointestinal issues."

Well...happy fucking birthday to her!!

No kidding.



Mingle - Mingle - Mingle
"Pour yourself a big glass of beverage-o-your-choice, serve up a plate of horse durveys . . . hors deour . . . hor d'ourves . . . appetizers and join the conversation!"

lol


Small Talk Question #2
"I live on the internet and get twitchy if I have to go a few hours without checking my email."

Somewhere online is a picture of what appears to be a skinny girl snorting crack...but the white powder spells out "MySpace"
ROFL


Thursday Thirteen #3
"Songs To Get Stoned By (Mix Tape)"
Nice...real nice... X-P

Hey, it was the 80s!

Okay, well I'm in April of your blog but I've been up all night and am really drooping so I'm off to sleep and snuggle kitties. :)
God sent us BabyKitten 'cause He knew I needed a lap cat :)

They have a new baby kitty, whom she rescued from the dogs next door.

Thanks for stopping by, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Keep up the commenting, and I'll see you soon!

5 comments:

  1. She makes a good point. A little hard to do the genetic screening that way, of course. And Shrike's not so keen on the idea.

    How about this?
    1. Both hang out at local med school/law school/other school of higher education.

    2. Scope out cute young guys.

    3. Pick an acceptable candidate.

    4. Go together and offer to rock his world.

    5. Say, "But first, we need to ask you a few questions..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sis was an attachment parent before attachment parenting was cool.

    Or even had a name...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "So, back to Chef Google to search for "rice, chicken, broccoli."

    Okay, here goes:

    Ladykay's Best Green Rice.

    frozen broccoli
    uncooked rice
    can of chicken
    chicken broth

    Add appropriate amounts of each together and cook in the microwave.

    (Read microwave instructions on the rice package, but use less liquid than it says because there is liquid in the broccoli.)

    AFTER rice mixture is cooked - add a good size chunk of Velvetta, cut into cubes. Stir in and let melt. Add salt and pepper if preferred.

    Top with cheddar cheese, melt.

    Serve and wait for comments that this is the best Green Rice that they have ever eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Songs To Get Stoned By (Mix Tape)"
    Nice...real nice... X-P

    Hey, it was the 80s!

    I'm sorry, that just does not carry the weight of my saying "It was the 70's..." :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. LadyKay -
    1 - Hmm, that certainly sounds less expensive than the route we're going . . .

    2 - True.

    3 - Sounds a lot easier than my recipe, but I'd use fresh broc, since Shrike prefers that.

    4 - That's because you were a boring grown-up mommy for most of the 80s, so you don't realize how truly wild and crazy they were.

    Really, just the hair alone should have been a clue that people were not completely sober.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?