Friday, March 2, 2007

Google Cooking II: Broccoli Boogaloo

After making the chicken-pineapple stir-fry, since chicken is packaged by the pound, the rice-bag makes two cups, and I had bought a 12 oz bag of broccoli, we had some leftover ingredients to deal with.

So, back to Chef Google to search for "rice, chicken, broccoli."

It took a bit of clicking around to find a recipe that didn't call for cream o'something soup (usually chicken or mushroom, neither of which is to be found in our cupboard at the moment) but I finally did.

I guess I just needed reassurance that it could be done, because then I pretty much just used the various recipes that I'd glanced at as inspiration and wung it.

As mentioned earlier, this is sitting in a casserole in the fridge, ready to pop in the oven tomorrow, but the bit that I had while cooking it was great.

Which is odd since, as we all know, I don't like broccoli.

Broccoli, Chicken & Rice Casserole

Ingredients
6 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
(See previous comments about paying for the boneless, skinless. So worth it, especially since I always feel like I should be wearing a hazmat suit when handling raw meat of any sort. The less "processing" I have to do myself, the better.)

½ cup onion, chopped

2 tsp butter
(I actually used a good bit more, of "I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter." I tried to pour a tiny bit out of the bottle, but it got away from me. No harm done. More I-can't-believe-it's-not-buttery goodness.)

2 tsp chicken bullion granules

1 cup broccoli
(That's odd.)

2 Tbs Sour Cream
(I saw this in the fridge, while I was poking around for the rice, and thought "What the hell, I'll toss that in." I think it helps to make up for the lack of cream o'something soup.)

1 cup rice, cooked

2 oz Velveeta™ cheese, diced
(I used 2%, but the regular is probaby even yummmier. In that processed-cheese-food-what-the-cockroaches-will-eat-after-the-nuke-yoo-lur-holocaust kind of way.)

2 oz shredded cheese
(I used lowfat 4-cheese Mexican, becase that's what I have. Cheddar would be fine.)

  1. Heat oven to 350 F. (Ok. I am totally making that shit up. I've not actually baked this stuff yet, so I have no idea how long or what temperature is appropriate. 350 F sounds like a kind of averagish temperature, so that's what I'm going to use. We'll see what happens.)
  2. Put broccoli in a bowl with a small amount of water, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on medium power for 2 minutes to lightly steam. (This is what I did, and it seemed to work, but I was totally guessing. I have no clue how to steam broccoli. Because I don't like it.)
  3. Saute chicken and onion in skillet over medium-high heat with butter and bullion, until chicken looks done-ish.
  4. When broccoli is steamed, chop finely (so people who don't like it can pretend it's not there, despite the fact that the finished product will be completely broccontaminated with little greeny bits) and add to chicken, along with the sour cream and rice.
  5. Add Velveeta™, lower heat and stir until melted.
  6. Transfer to one-quart casserole dish and top with shredded cheese.
  7. Bake until cheese is all meltified and browned to golden perfection. (Or til it seems done-ish. See earlier note about temperature. I plan to set the oven timer for 10 minutes and check it then. If it's not burnt yet, I'll continue in 5 minute increments.)

1 comment:

  1. Stopping in for the Ultimate Blog Party!
    The casserole sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?