Monday, April 9, 2007

Post #100: 100 Things About Me

In honor of my 100th post (not counting those that I imported from my old website), I've decided to finally do the "100 Things About Me" meme that I've been seeing all over the Internets. Here goes:

100 Things About Me
  1. I was born and raised in Texas.
  2. I have one sister, 8 years older than me.
  3. I have one brother, 13 months younger than me.
  4. The first pet I remember was a cat named "Meathead."
  5. I enjoyed sports as a kid, but sucked at them.
  6. In softball, I always played rightfield.
  7. My oldest friend is someone I've known since kindergarten.
  8. She and her partner are expecting a baby boy on July 4.
  9. In 6th grade, the principal threatened to make us both wear dresses to school for a month if we got sent to the office for fighting any more.
  10. It worked.
  11. The principal was a lesbian. We are sure she was onto us.
  12. I was in the band from 4th grade on.
  13. I was Drum Major my senior year.
  14. I had no idea that band kids weren't cool.
  15. Ok, maybe not the coolest, but I'd never heard the term "band-nerd."
  16. I wonder if we weren't as uncool at our school than at others.
  17. Or maybe they only said it behind our backs.
  18. I was a National Merit Scholar
  19. I graduated from college with a 2.67 GPA.
  20. I partied a lot in college.
  21. I did not study a lot.
  22. I taught middle school science for nine years.
  23. I love teaching people things.
  24. I hated being a teacher.
  25. I stayed in it for the summers off.
  26. I spent most of my summers, from age 7 - 30 at the same summer camp.
  27. It is one of my favorite places on Earth.
  28. If I could get past being freaked out by the idea of cremation, I would want my ashes scattered there.
  29. Most of my best friends, and some of the most amazing women I know, are people I met at camp.
  30. I could probably come up with a camp song about damn near any topic you can name.
  31. I realized that I am gay at the age of 29.
  32. I should have known at the age of 6.
  33. Everybody else knew.
  34. I knew.
  35. Meeting Shrike is what finally made it worth admitting.
  36. That was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
  37. I can not imagine going back into the closet in any way, shape or form.
  38. I will come to out anyone and everyone.
  39. I talk about Shrike the same way anybody else would talk about their spouse.
  40. Fuck you, if you don't like it.
  41. I am very active in my local and state Democratic Parties.
  42. I was not politically involved until 2003.
  43. I am a "Deaniac."
  44. I'm not so much about policy, though.
  45. I'm about the grassroots and the organizing and the event planning.
  46. I love to throw a party.
  47. I've discovered that I enjoy raising money, too.
  48. I don't take "no" for an answer.
  49. About anything.
  50. I've been called a controlling bitch.
  51. That's a pretty accurate assessment.
  52. I worked for my state Democratic Party in the 06 election.
  53. I've been unemployed since then.
  54. The first couple of months were a nice vacation. Now I need fucking job.
  55. I need a job and health insurance so we can start trying to have a baby.
  56. I will turn 39 in about a month.
  57. I don't foresee having a baby before I'm 40.
  58. I can't fathom that I will be 40 in just over a year. It's just surreal.
  59. Shrike moved in with me the day before my 30th birthday. That was surreal, too.
  60. I thought "Oh my God. I'm a 30 year old lesbian. When the fuck did that happen?"
  61. Then, we bought our house right after my 35th birthday. Suddenly, I was a 35 year old homeowner.
  62. Again: "When the fuck did that happen?"
  63. I guess it would fit right into that pattern to become a parent at 40.
  64. I'm worried that I'll have trouble getting (or, God-forbid, trouble staying) pregnant because of my age.
  65. I thought my parents were incredibly uncool because they were so old.
  66. They were 34 (mom) and 32 (dad) when I was born.
  67. But I'm still cooler. A little bit.
  68. I can't possibly be almost 40, because 40-year-olds are grown-ups and I don't feel grown up at all.
  69. Sometimes I feel old, though.
  70. Not nearly as often as I used to. I'm much healthier than I used to be.
  71. I had gastric bypass surgery in December 2004.
  72. I lost about 200 lbs, and have maintained my weight (+/- 5 lbs of goal) since last June.
  73. The surgery is one of the best decisions I've ever made.
  74. I'm terrified of gaining back the weight.
  75. I worry a lot about our child having a weight problem.
  76. We're going to get "skinny sperm" to try to avoid that.
  77. Skinny, and smart and cute sperm.
  78. It kind of creeps me out a bit that most of the donors are so young.
  79. I feel like Mrs. Robinson. Or Mrs. Letourneau. Ew, ew and ew.
  80. I find it very hard to think of 100 things about myself that are even marginally interesting.
  81. Without being too freaky.
  82. Wouldn't you like to know.
  83. When no one is around, I talk to myself. (Everybody does that, right?)
  84. Sometimes I get caught. I hate when that happens.
  85. If I'm in the car, I pretend I was singing. Lean over and act like I'm adjusting the radio, etc.
  86. I don't think they're buying it.
  87. I really do sing along if there's music playing.
  88. There's usually not music playing.
  89. I like to listen to audiobooks in the car.
  90. Or NPR.
  91. I'm a nerd.
  92. I like nerdy, nonfiction books.
  93. Right now, I'm listening to Pilgrims. Wow, those guys were kind of assholes.
  94. I think alot of our "Founding Fathers" were kind of assholes.
  95. It's mostly that whole slavery and genocide thing that bothers me.
  96. Then it freaks me out that if they'd not done all that shit, I wouldn't exist, because my various ancestors wouldn't have all gotten together and made babies with each other and such.
  97. It freaks me out to think of the randomness of life. What if my parents hadn't met? What if they'd not been "in the mood" the night that I was concieved? What if my mom had rolled over on her other side and a different sperm had fertilized that egg and they'd had some other kid who wasn't me.
  98. The above is way more than I'm comfortable thinking about my parents' sex life. Ew.
  99. I'm kind of glad that our kid's existence won't be proof to him/her that his/her parents "did it."
  100. And, on that note, I'm thrilled to see that I've managed to come up with 100 things. Whew!

10 comments:

  1. #39- Good for you!
    #50- me too!
    #56- Happy early bday!
    #77- *giggle*

    Loved your list- learned some new things! Did you ever read mine? I can't remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I am the asshole who called you #50. Again, why are you with me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toni - Thanks, I'll have to go lok for yours.

    Shrike - Oh, like you are the only person who's called me that? Puh-lease.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. From one to another...there's no such thing as a "band nerd"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,

    I was looking for an email so I can email you directly. My email is apitamac@gmail.com. I am interested in talking to you about your daughters heart surgery. My girlfriend's baby is about to have open heart surgery. I can explain more in an email. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too was a band nerd. and a drum major. very amusing list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, you. That list was fucking hilarious!!! We need to hang out more . . . Look forward to seeing you and yours at the xmas party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. U bitches r sick

    ReplyDelete

What say you?