Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Word About Anonymity

You may have noticed that I'm using pseudonyms here, not only for Shrike and myself, but also for our hometown and nearby locations.

I actually feel a little wierd doing this, because it kind of takes me back to the early days of my relationship with Shrike, when I was barely out to myself, let alone anyone else, and I was terrified of being "caught."

That is so not me today.

I am about as out now as one can possibly be. My rule of thumb is that if a straight person would reference his or her spouse in a given situation, so will I. I've come out to strangers in parking lots. Literally.

I'm also not one to be real feaked out about protecting my privacy, in the sense that I figure if someone wants to get my phone number or address or whatever, they can use that big book with all the numbers in it that shows up on their doorstep once a year.

Hell, if they know my real name, they can just Google it, and all that info will probably come right up, because I've put it out there in about a zillion places, for one reason or another.

That said, I am going the anonymous route here for a few different reasons:

  1. Shrike is much less comfortable than I am about sharing our personal stuff with all the internets and she asked me to. That's reason enough.
  2. I like the idea of being free to rant about specific people or situations that piss me off, without worrying that the subject will read what I said.
  3. I like the idea of having an outlet to share all the details of our adventures in baby-making, without having everyone I know ask "Are you pregnant yet?" and feeling the need to report in each month when I'm not. I'm hoping that being able to blog about it when (knock-wood) I get a positive test will help me to restrain myself from shouting it from the rooftops for a few weeks in case, God forbid, something should go wrong.
  4. As I've mentioned before, I have a leadership position in my local Democratic Party, and I would hate for anything that I say on my personal blog to reflect negatively on the party or on any other individuals who are involved with it.
So, if you have just stumbled upon this blog, please know that I've got nothing to hide; I'm just trying to keep a bit of a wall between the personal that I'm making public here and my actual public person.

If you've stumbled in and think you know who I really am, shoot me an email (you should know the address, right?) and I'll let you know if you're right.

If you know me, and I've invited you here, congratulations. You're one of a select few whom I trust to keep what you read here just between you, me and the internets.

Also, you've probably earned immunity from my public rants.

Unless you really piss me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?