Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Daily Peep: Little Baby in the (Big) Bathtub

Okay, so there aren't any photos of her actually in the bathtub, but there's a very good reason - she was in there with me. And nobody needs to see that.

Last night, at our very first Le Leche League meeting, DoulaK made a great suggestion.

She said that I should take a nice, long, hot bath (my first since Peeper was transferred - I like them hot, and didn't want to bake her, but didn't want to take a tepid bath either, so I blew them off for the duration) - then, when the water has cooled off, have Shrike bring little naked Peeper in to join me.

Baby gets clean, without all that coldness and screaming, and Baby and Mama get some naked time together.

The skin-to-skin contact ("kangaroo care") is great for wee ones, especially preemies, and she says that the more time we spend just hanging out together while I'm "hanging out," the better for the breastfeeding, which she's not doing so much of at this point.

A Quick Update on the Breastfeeding:
I'm giving her an opportunity to nurse at the beginning of each meal, but she's not generally taking me up on it.

She usually roots around and looks interested, and even latches on (typically with this big ol' chomp-latch move, like it's her favorite thing in the world) but after a suck or two, she pushes it away and starts getting mad, probably because the milk's not coming out fast enough for her.

(ie - Not as fast as the bottle.)

She had a couple of really good days last week, but not so much since then.

So, I'm pumping and she's getting breast milk from bottles. I'm making more than she's eating (and even have about 6 (2 oz) bottles worth in the freezer!) so she's getting only breast milk now.

She's had a total of maybe 2 ounces of formula since she was born, and none since Election Night, when she ran a little bit short on expressed milk while I was away at the victory celebration.

Healthwise, the most important thing, of course, is that she's getting the breast milk, no matter how it's delivered, but it's still very important to me that she actually breastfeed, eventually.

I'm trying to be as patient as I can, and we're hoping to transition her (back) to the breast over the next few weeks, but right now we have both her immaturity and nipple confusion working against us.

We're plugging away at it, though, and I'm confident that with a lot of persistence and a lot of great support and advice (which I'm getting) she'll catch on eventually.

By the way, feel free to refer back to this post now. Yeah. This is what I get for being smug and judgemental.

In my defense, I was right that I started with a good foundation of information (and have learned a ton more in the past 23 days, of course) and I do have a lot of support.

If I didn't have those things, and if I didn't know how good it is for her, and if I didn't feel so strongly about it, I'm sure I would have given up on it long before now.

So, anyway, we did the bath thing this evening, and it went really well. Next time, I think I'll have the water a little deeper before she gets in, so that she can be mostly underwater while on my belly, so she can stay good and warm.

This time, I had to scootch her way down til her little head was around my crotch and let her dangle there in the water to stay covered up, because I didn't want her wet and exposed and cold.

It was a little bit scary for me, but she was actually quite secure (I didn't soap her all up or anything, so she wasn't very slippery) and seemed to be rather comfortable. She mostly just kind of lay there all relaxed with her eyes closed (asleep?) .

I did wash her hair and her little milky neck with a bit of baby soap, but other than that, it was just about the hanging out and floating more than the cleaning.

After all, how dirty is she, really? Her diaper-parts get cleaned with every change, and other than that the only parts that get yucky are her face / neck / chest, where she dribbles milk.

By the end of the day she does have rather a glaze of dried breast milk on her.

As do I, actually.

Pretty much all my dirty clothes and hers - and some of Shrike's, I'm sure, because she does a lot of the bottles - reek of sour milk. Very appealing.

So, we've mostly just been wiping her down well before we take her out in public, and I think we'll probably just continue to do that mostly, and try to get a big bath with a mom every few days.

Once she's big enough to want to splash and play, we'll probably start putting her in her little tub, but for now, I think it would just piss her off.

So, after the bath, we all snuggled on the bed for a while, and that's what we got photos of:

(Please try to focus your attention on the cute naked baby, not the flabby naked Mama.)


We did eventually put some clothes on her. And me. Hers are cuter.

14 comments:

  1. One thing we did to keep baby warm while having a soak with us was to cover both of us up with a (wet) towel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I did that - but for little Peeper, a baby washcloth did the trick!

    Her legs were in the water, and the washcloth more than covered her little torso.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And as to the clothes... I'm sorry, but I just don't think a onesie is going to do anything for you. I think you are just going to have to resign yourself to her getting all the cute stuff. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, c'mon, I could rock me some onsies!

    Also - I know why I'm up at 4 am, but what are you doing up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, it's only about 3:oo here, second, I didn't get back in town from school until almost midnight - and it takes me several hours to key down before I can get to sleep.

    Hopefully that will happen soon...

    I'll try to give you a call tomorrow, um, later today, uh, THURSDAY, whenever that is!

    I plan on sleeping first though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A true bathing beauty, isn't she. You, too, of course. She looks less "just born" than she did. Is she holding your thumb? And looking at you? She will smile soon, though that 36 week thing may delay that a little. Let us hear about the cardiologist today, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also had lots of milk and not too much interest in it at the beginning... so I got this advice on storage - fill up ice cube trays with the milk (after cleaning them of course) each cube it about 1 oz. So you can then freeze three cubes in a baggie and have an approximate serving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LK - Ah, that makes sense.

    Anonymama - She is holding my thumb, but I might have put it in her hand.

    I know that's just a reflex and all, and that it's got more to do with baby monkeys holding on to Mama's fur, but it is just about the most endearing reflex there is!

    She is looking at me, and might have been smiling at the moment, but of course, that's pretty random and I'm sure it has more to do with what's going on in her belly than anything else.

    She does seem to smile (and laugh, in her sleep) at particularly appropriate points in the conversation, though.

    Sarah - That's exactly what DoulaK suggested, so we went out and bought brand new ice trays just for milk! I'm bagging them up 2 cubes at a time, because that's all she eats now, but we can increase that as her appetite increases. Much more practical than freezing it in 6 oz bags!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, I did the ice cube thing with MY buzzed up food after the gastric bypass. :D

    Hmmmm, just for perspective, two ounces is TWICE what my teeny pouch held right after surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always applaud mamas who are so determined to breastfeed, no matter what obstacles they face!

    Just keep on trying... even if you feel that the bottle is her main source of nourishment. Congrats on offering you to her whenver you can. She'll get the hang of it... I promise!!!

    I am a big believer of just letting her suckle and use you as a pacifier at non-food times. The kanga-holding will definately help! Just keep yourself close... cuddled up in bed... laying on the couch... (my second very rarely wants to nurse unless we are laying down in bed).

    Good luck and lots o' props to you for your determination. Just don't give up... it'll get so much easier for the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh! And... I must say, nipple shields were a lifesaver, I mean, LIFESAVER with my first child!

    Did I mention that they were lifesavers?

    Especially if she is so used to the feel of a bottle nipple.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I want to have a nipple shield discussion with you. I know a lot people say they are evil, but they helped Kiddo1 and I over the hump.

    (I tried to call you yesterday. TTYL)

    ReplyDelete
  13. most endearing reflex there is!

    It's so much sweeter than that startle reflex. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. LK - I never thought of freezing up food like that post-op, but that's how I've read you should do it if you're making baby food. (Much like post-op food, but less flavory, I suppose.)

    BabyMakes4 - Thanks for the encouragement and advice. The naked snuggling and comfort nursing are both things we're trying to do.

    She did better last night when I put her on between meals, when she wasn't stuffed or starving, and she just sort of played around.

    BabyMakes4 / LK - I've heard conflicting info on nipple shields; I'm interested in hearing more about how that worked for you.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?