Monday, September 17, 2007

Dos Eggies?

I had my visit with the dildo-cam this morning, and I'm sure Shrike was happy to hear that there's no risk of triplets this month!

My uterine lining looks good, at 10.7 mm (they like to see at least 10 mm). It's been good the past two cycles, too, but I was a bit worried this time around, since Clomid can cause it to be not so great.

I have lots of little follicles that aren't actually going anywhere, and two dominant ones.

One is at 17.1 mm, on the left side and on the right, there's one at 15.1 mm (I think - I knowit's 15.something).

At first, Nurse E told me that she thought we'd probably be triggering this evening for an IUI on Wednesday, but after seeing my blood work, Dr. E wants me to do one more injection of FSH this evening, trigger tomorrow and do the IUI on Thursday.

The goal is to give the smaller of the two follicles another boost and a little extra time, in hopes that it catches up, so that both eggs can drop just in time for the IUI.

All well and good, except that I didn't have enough FSH left for a third shot.

The shots I'm taking are 150 IU. It comes in 75 IU vials - five to a box. So, after two shots (on Thursday and Saturday) I only had one vial left.

Luckily, she was able to find some on hand, and I've got it now, but it wasn't so great logistically.

Here's the gist of my day:

7:30 am - drive an hour to OldWorkTown for the dildo-cam.
Stop by TutoringCenter there (old work location) to pick up some supplies\
Drive 45 minutes to NewWorkTown, arrive around 10:30 am.
3:30 pm - Get call from Nurse E
Drive back to OldWorkTown to pick up the vial of FHS
Drive back to NewWorkTown, arrive around 4:30 pm
Work til 7 pm

After a few phone calls (and a few more to make tomorrow) I've made arrangements to be off work all day on Thursday.

This was a little tricky, because we're supposed to have a staff meeting that evening. And I'm supposed to be running it.

I was going to go in for the meeting, but when I talked to ED2 about it (to let her know she doesn't have to cover for me on Wednesday, because RegionalDirector is available on Thursday), she really discouraged me from doing that.

She told me to talk to Nurse E and get her opinion, "And tell her it's going to be tressful." (We're going to be going over some things that some of the teachers may not be happy about.)

So, while Nurse E said that there's no need to go home and go to bed, she did agree that it's best to take it easy and that a meeting where I'm likely to be pissing off a bunch of people is probably not a great idea. She even offered to write me a doctor's note.

I called ED2 back to let her know I'd decided to reschedule the meeting. I was still fretting about it, until she told me about this quote that just loves. She is going to to email it to me, but of course I was able to find it, thanks to Professor Google:

Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. You name them - work, family, health, friends, and spirit, and you're keeping all of these in the air. You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back.

But the other four balls: family, health, friends and spirit are made of glass. If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged or even shattered. They will never be the same.

Brian G. Dyson
President and CEO, Coca-Cola Enterprises during his speech at the Georgia Tech 172nd Commencement Address Sept. 6, 1996

Wow. That's a really great image to keep in mind.

And certainly not the sort of thing you'd expect to hear from your boss.

12 comments:

  1. You have great bosses. Good luck Thursday. Maybe Popeye is the MAN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could still have triplets, couldn't you? If both eggs are fertilized, and then one split into twins. Shit, what if they BOTH split?

    Someone pick Shrike up off the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If both eggs are fertilized, and then one split into twins.


    Nah, that could NEVER happen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do, indeed, have great bosses. Now, if their generousity would just extend to the financial realm . . .

    Toni / LK - Shut up, shut up, shut up.

    Yes, I suppose there's always a chance of any embryo twinning, but the odds are no greater for us than for anyone. Maybe less, as there's no history in my family or (according to the info we have) in Popeye's either.

    As to the triplets that we know (see my cautionary tale from April 1), they were conceived in vitro, and the incidence of identical twinning is a bit higher that way.

    I presume that's because all the handling of the embryos makes them fragile and more likely to break in two?

    Btw, I believe today is those little guys' 2nd birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do folks who are not from the Southwest or Texas or California catch the play on words of your title "Dos Eggies"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymama -
    Evidently not. I just asked Shrike, and she had not gotten it.

    (She said, "Yeah - it's Spanish!")

    I wasn't sure anyone would get it. It was kind of a stretch.

    I said "dos eggies" in my head, and thought, "That sounds like something, what is it? Oh, that's it!"

    Did you get it yourself, or was it Anonydaddy? (His ear being more attuned to such things.)

    Now - everyone else - what the hell are we talking about?

    It's really not that incredibly clever, but a bit of a pun, not baby-related at all.

    Although, if you think about it, what it sounds like is what we're kind of hoping for, baby-wise.

    And, is all we've got to work with here, making the whole process more complicated than it might be for someone else.

    Hmm, the plot thickens . . .

    I guess maybe it was a better pun than I'd realized.

    I had an English teacher in high school who once told us, when we accused her of being a "symbol-monger" and reading more into a story than the author had intended, that "An author deserves credit for anything you can find in his work."

    So there.

    (I was kind of relieved that I didn't have to use my alternate title "Tres Huevos.")

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Pea, you forgot to tell them it is a brand of beer in Texas. I can't believe I missed it. But that's because I am mostly a Sam Adams girl. Forget hero of the Revolution, I admire his beer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ack!!! I just wrote a whole comment and then lost it when something went all fucky.

    Dammit. Let me try again.

    Yes, as Shrike points out, my pun was based on "Dos Equis," a Mexican beer that's fairly common in Texas. Available other places too, I think.

    The name refers to the "XX" (2 Xs) on the bottle. First brewed in 1897, the original name was "Siglo XX" (Twentieth Century). (Thank you, Professor Wikipedia.)

    So, the second part of the pun, that I just realized today, is that "XX" could also refer to the only chromosomes we have to work with here!

    Or, to the kind we're hoping the kid to have.

    Not that we have anything against persons of the XY persuasion, but we are girls and we know about girl stuff.

    Bras and periods, no problem.

    Shaving and, um, nocturnal emissions, not so much.

    Hell, we can't even teach our boy dog to pee standing up!

    But, we know that inseminating at or after ovulation (as we're doing) skews toward boys.

    (Y sperm swim faster, X sperm live longer. Just like the people they grow up to be.)

    Also, I think that just about every lesbian couple we know who's made a baby together (whether by IUI or IVF, which should not skew either way) has gotten a boy.

    So, irony strikes again.

    So, we're expecting to get a boy, and when we envision it, we're thinking in terms of boy. So, if we ended up with a girl, we might actually be a bit disappointed about that for a moment.

    But, pink or blue, we just want it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dos Equis...

    Okay, I was feeling really stupid that I wasn't figuring out your pun - until you explained it. Yeah, I think I have seen it around (maybe in Mexican restaurants?) but I just don't pay any attention to beer. But yeah, the XX thing especially, good one.

    (Thinking about you today.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I got it on my own. No help at all. Thinking about you today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Special K~Toni, now you are just being mean. I won't be disappointed either way as long as they grow up to be a pilot/ veternarian. As far as the really girly stuff, perhaps my niece can help them out.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?