Friday, February 3, 2012

Happy Birthday, Elmo!

In theory, I "knew" that today was Elmo's birthday (yes, all the Muppets have birthdays) but I didn't remember it until I saw something about it in the Sesame Street newsletter that I get via email.

(What? You got a problem with that?)

So, it was around 3 o'clock when I found out about it, but I couldn't resist working it into our day.

I went to Peeper and said, "Hey, do you know what today is?" Of course she said, "What is it, Mama?"

"It's somebody's birthday."

"Whose?"

"It's Elmo's birthday!"

"Oh! We should sing Happy Birthday to him! Let's go to him!"

So, of course, we went to Big Elmo and sang Happy Birthday, and then she said, "Oh, I forgot the cake! I will make you a cake!" and she found a "cake" for him and we sang again, and he blew out his candles.

The I suggested that we make an Elmo snack. Again, "What is it?!"

I could swear that I saw this on Pinterest, but when I tried to find it to link to it, I can't. Hmmm, could there actually be a cool idea somewhere else on the Internet?

Anyway, here's what we did:

Apples, cut in half. Cut out the mouth and fill with peanut butter (something black would be better, but that's all I could come up with on short notice), use peanut butter to glue on an orange fruity-chewy thing and - here's the part I'm particularly proud of - cut "white raisins" (yogurt covered) in half for they eyes - the yogurt is the whites, and the raisin is the pupil!


Of course, Elmo himself joined us at the table. Is that too creepy that he watched us eating his face?


Peeper kept putting more fruit chewies on and eating them off. "How 'bout a purple nose? How 'bout a red nose?"


When she finally tried the apple itself, she said "I like how it tastes . . . but it's . . . kinda icky."

She was right, it was a bit mealy.

But she did seem to enjoy the project as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?