Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Daily Peep: Barfapalooza Day Two

This is a pretty accurate photo for the day:

And, yet, the past twenty-four hours have been way better than the previous twenty-four.

After I posted last night, I think she threw up a couple more times, the last a little before ten, and then nursed to sleep around eleven - and slept until 9:30 this morning!

She nursed off and on, starting with a "real" feeding around 4:30, and kept it all down!

When Shrike got home, a little after midnight, I ate the food she'd brought me, showered off the vomit, and took a nice long soak in the tub, while reading "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler," including the section on "When Baby Is Sick," and thanking whom/whatever that I'd not spent the past twenty-four hours trying to coax my poor sick baby to drink a bit of pedialyte every couple of hours.

You'd think that, after all that, I would've fallen into bed, exhausted. Oh, but no. Remember that three hour nap I had in the evening?

Yeah, I didn't go to sleep until sometime after goodying Peeper at 4:30 am.

I have never loved Shrike more than when she got up with her at 9:30 am and let me sleep until about noon, just bringing her in to nurse as needed - which, of course, I barely even have to wake up for.

When we finally all got up, we decided to try her out on some solid food, since she'd now gone more than twelve hours vomit-free. I stuck her in the highchair, and offered her some Cheerios. I really don't know if she ate any, or how many, but she didn't stay in the chair very long.

I do suspect she had a few, though, because by 1 pm, she was throwing up.

This time, all over Shrike.

And then, all over me.

Did I mention that yesterday, I figured out to drape a towel across myself, to at least soak up some of the puke, when she's throwing up in my arms?

(Which, I very quickly, just gave up and let her do. It just feels so wrong to point her in another direction when she so clearly just needs to be cuddled.)

Yeah, well, despite getting it all set up everytime she starts looking a little green around the gills, I've yet to actually have it in place when she's started throwing up.

It's a nice plan, though.

Anyway, yeah, so all three of us were pretty puke-covered, and I declared that nope, she was not ready to start any BRAT diet.

After getting cleaned up, Peeper and I lay down around 2:30, and we slept until around 5:30. Which was wonderful.

She had a few more Cheerios later (because she was playing and acting pretty chipper) and around 7:30 we took a bath. I don't know how much she cared, but I sure was happy to get her hair washed, as well as the rest of her, and get her into some clean jammies. (She'd been in just a diaper or diaper and onesie since the early hours of this.)

About half an hour later, she threw up again. Of course.


But, she perked up a bit after that, and begged a tiny bit of Ritz cracker from me, when I was trying to eat something, and although she started looking pretty iffy not too long after that, it turned out she was just sleepy, and she nursed down around 9:30 pm.

It's 10:30 now, and this is the point in the story at which I was going to say ". . . and she's sleeping peacefully now" - but I took a break from composing this post to email Shrike, and before I reported that to her, I felt like I ought to peek in and make sure.

I couldn't see her well enough , so I went in and opened the bathroom door, to let in more light, then snuck back out. No problem.

Then I thought, "Oh, I ought to get the next load of pukey laundry into the washer," and when I went back in, I kicked the baby gate (Which is there to keep the pets out; I like to have it up and the door ajar, so I can peek at her without opening and closing it.) and woke her up!

But, she nursed back down and is, again, sleeping peacefully.



  1. Does sound as if things are getting better, but it seems as it it will last forever. We are all with you in spirit if not in vomit.

  2. Hope the night went better. She looks SO sick in that lpicture!

  3. That photo was taken between bath and post-bath puke, I believe.

    But, we made it through the night with no throwing up - coming up on 15 hours now.

    She did have about 30 - 45 minutes of restlessness, whimpering, rolling back and forth between us, and looking quite greenish around 5 am.

    We were just certain that she was going to throw up, and even went so far as to tell her that she'd feel much better if she'd just let it happen, but she managed to fight it off.

    She's acting much more chipper this morning, and I'm thinking that we might try some more Cheerios in an hour or so.

  4. My household seems to have a variation on this theme, nausea, major headache, body aches, sleeping around the clock. Thankfully no actual throwing up though.


What say you?