Sunday, April 1, 2007

Chicken & Peanut Sauce

After consulting Chef Google for peanut butter & chicken suggestions, I decided to take a bit of this recipe and a bit of that and a bit of what's on hand and see what I could come up with.

I think it turned out pretty damn well, if I do say so. I really should pay more attention to what I'm putting in these dishes, knowing damn well that I'm going to blog them if they turn out decent but, as usual, all of the measurements below are guesses and estimates and what I maybe should have done instead of what I actually did.

Chicken & Peanut Sauce

Ingredients

Marinade
1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1/2 cup soy sauce

1 tsp brown sugar

1/2 tsp garlic

dash each of mustard, cinnamon, nutmeg
(Could we even taste these??? Ginger might be good here, too.)



3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1/4 cup onion, chopped

1/4 cup each red, green and orange bell pepper, chopped

1 tsp olive oil
(Peanut oil would would fit better, but I didn't have any.)

1/2 cup chopped broccoli
(I know!)



Peanut Sauce

2 cups chicken broth
(I used reconstituted bullion granules)

1/2 cup peanut butter
(More or less? Chunky might be a nice twist, but I only had smooth)

1/2 tsp garlic

2 tsp brown sugar

1 T corn starch

2 oz water



Spaghetti or lo mein noodles, cooked
  1. Mix all marinade ingredients in a shallow, non-aluminum bowl.
  2. Stab chicken all over with a fork to tenderize and cut into bite-sized pieces.
  3. Add to marinade, tossing to coat. Add a bit of water if the marinade doesn't completely cover the chicken.
  4. Refrigerate until you're ready to cook it.
  5. For sauce, combine broth, peanut butter, garlic and brown sugar in a small sauce pan and heat, stirring frequently.
  6. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in water.
  7. Add cornstarch mixture to sauce just before it boils. After it boils and thickens, remove from heat.
  8. While sauce is heating, saute onion, bell peppers and garlic in 1 tsp oil in a skillet.
  9. Add chicken (and a bit more oil if necessary) and cook until done.
  10. Add broccoli, lower heat to a simmer and cover for about two minutes, to steam.
  11. Serve meat and vegetables over spaghetti and top with sauce.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! That sounds delicious, definitely gonna make this one day this week!

    Glad you were able to come up with something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. Let me know how it comes out for you!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?