Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Blog Party Small Talk: Question #1

This week, in honor of the 5 Minutes for Mom Blog Party, I'm making small talk by answering any and all of your questions, so ask away!

Toni asked:
So how soon are you two aiming to get pregnant?

Well, Toni, the short answer is "as soon as possible," but the longer answer is this:

Last summer, I left my job as a web developer (where I'd been for about 6.5 years) to work for the BlueState Democratic Party. I knew that the job with the party would last only through the election, but it was a chance to get "a foot in the door" in the political arena, which I'd been itching to move into for a while.

I knew at the time that it was a huge risk, but after much discussion with Shrike and with my parents, I decided to take the chance.

That job ended in mid-November, and since then, I've been looking for my next position, and receiving unemployment benefits.

When we made the final decision to start working on the baby-plan (in December) I narrowed my scope a bit in terms of the kinds of jobs I'm looking at, limited my search to those that will be conducive to baby-making, baby-growing and baby-raising.

A little over a month ago, I applied (and was recommended by the Governor's office that handles such things) for a position with the state. This position would involve working with volunteer programs such as AmeriCorps and sounds like something that I would love. I'd be commuting to CapitalCity (about an hour away) but I did that for a few months when working for the party, and it wasn't too bad.

At the time, I was told that the hiring process could take "a month or more." We're now into the "or more" :-)

It's my understanding that they've closed out the application period, so ought to be interviewing soon. I've emailed my contact with the Governor's office and he's checking to get a better idea of the timeline. I am starting to get a bit nervous, since my unemployment benefits only go through mid-May.

So, back to the baby-making question - the plan is that, as soon as I have a job (hopefully that one) and health insurance, I will start doing the preliminary testing and consultations that I need.

I've got some appointments for that stuff scheduled in mid-April, and I'm really hoping that I won't have to push them back again.

My OB-Gyn says that once I can start on that stuff, and assuming that no problems turn up, we should be able to start actually trying within "a month and a half."

So, best case, we might be able to do our first insemination as soon as late May or early June, giving us an earliest-possible due date of mid-February 2008.
Next Question?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats on losing 200#! I didn't realize how many medical 'issues' you have had, but at least they are resolved, or in the process of resolving. Thanks for answering my question, and so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I feel great and have had no complications or difficulties from the surgery.

    I'm hoping that the kidney history and the surgery are just some things that require a bit of extra attention before and during pregancy, but one can never be too careful!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?