Monday, May 13, 2013

Skunk!

We were all out in the backyard this afternoon when I looked at Shrike, who was on the far side, near the fence, and spotted a skunk about three feet behind her, just bopping along, pretty as you please. I said, "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" trying to get her attention without saying what it was, I suppose so I didn't clue the dogs in on it or something. Then I realized that was stupid and just yelled. "SKUUUNK!"

Maybe my dog thing wasn't so stupid, because as soon as I said it, Galoot came running over, grabbed it up and started shaking. I didn't want Peeper to get sprayed or to watch him kill it, so I swooped her up and ran inside, and Shrike was right behind us.

The dogs and skunk all ended up in some bushes where we couldn't see what was happening, but we heard two separate yelp/whines, and knew exactly what that meant.

The skunk was actually pretty small, probably an adolescent I suppose, so I think maybe he didn't have all his stink yet, because it turned out to be not nearly as bad as we'd feared. Shrike found the bottle of skunk destink spray that she bought the first time this happened and that took care of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?