Saturday, December 8, 2012

Holiday Giftaway

What the heck, I'll save myself some typing and just share the press release that I'm about to send out to a couple of local newspapers:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(OurTown) The MOMS Club of OurTownWest held a “Holiday Giftaway” on Saturday that provided free holiday shopping for the families of Our County Head Start students.

The club collected new and gently-used toys, games, books and stocking stuffers from members and the community, as well as monetary donations that were used to purchase new gifts.

Over 1500 gifts were distributed to 250 children – 190 of whom came through in the first hour.
Club President D said, “"My heart is just full of joy today. I couldn't be more pleased with the success of this event in its first year. I am a true believer that if you are blessed and able to give and pay it forward to someone less fortunate, knowing you have helped make someone else smile will give you the best feeling in the world. Today we helped brighten Christmas for 250 kids and that just brings tears to my eyes."

“The best moment of the day for me was when I overheard a five or six year old boy, who was holding the toy he’d chosen, say, “Mama, you said you couldn’t get me anything for Christmas. Did you change your mind?” said Administrative Vice President Whozat Whozat-Shrike.
“If the only thing we accomplished today was that one kid who otherwise would not have had any gifts went home with a toy in his hands, and a smile on his face, then that makes all the work we put into this more than worth it.”
And the email that I sent out to the club members this afternoon:
Thank you, everyone, for your donations to and your help with the Giftaway. I think that what we did today was pretty amazing, especially for a first effort.

We gave gifts to 250 kids this morning, which calculates to be at least *1500* gifts distributed.

190 of those kids came through (and at least 1100 gifts went out) in the FIRST HOUR!

We ended up shutting down early, because we were about out of gifts, but we found good places for what we did have left.

We sent the books and puzzles, as well as the leftover gift wrap and gift bags, to the Salvation Army Thrift Store. The stuffed toys went to the Salvation Army for their Christmas Dinner program for seniors, and I dropped a small box of baby toys on the doorstep of Pregnancy Ministries on my way home.

So, that's some more people that we've helped. I think that's quite a day, and we have a lot to be proud of.

I know I'm proud to be a part of such a generous bunch of ladies!
Thank you again!
The beginning - this is about half of the tables. 


The end - these things went to the Salvation Army


And these, plus a tummy-time mat and minus a couple of things, went to Pregnancy Ministries.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?