Friday, June 8, 2012

Oatmeal & Whole Wheat Spinach-Blueberry Waffles. Yes, Really.

After the strawberry bread, I tried strawberry waffles, but as with the bread, I used pureed strawberries in place of the oil plus more in place of chopped strawberries. I subbed stevia for half the sugar, and oops! ran out of flour in the middle of measuring, so I topped it off with oat flour (oatmeal zapped in the food processor to make it a powder). That worked pretty well, other than trying to figure out the right amount / time for the waffle iron.

Since then, I a - found the waffle iron manual online and read it. That helped a lot! and b - decided I could use the "Sneaky Chef purple puree" from the freezer to do the same thing - it's spinach and blueberry.

So, around 5 this afternoon, I was asking Peeper about dinner, and first she suggested (canned) chicken and (boxed) rice but then - I guess she'd heard me telling Shrike my idea or maybe I'd told her about it - she said "How about blueberry waffles?"

 I said, "Okay, I can try those" (meaning try to make them) so she said "Just try one, and see if you like it!"

 So I did.

She ate about one and a half in bits and pieces while I cooked, as did I, then I had another.

Then I froze the rest, to pop in the toaster. Yay!

They don't taste especially fruity or sweet, but they are pretty good. Just don't look too closely, because purple-schmurple, they are totally green inside!

Oatmeal, Whole Wheat and Fruit Waffles(Adapted from a recipe from Kokocooks.)
Makes about 15 waffles
1 cup oat flour (zap 1 cup uncooked oatmeal in a food processor until it's a powder)
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 Tbs sugar + 1 Tbs  stevia (or just use 2 T sugar or substitute of your choice)
2 eggs
2 1/2 cup skim milk
1 tsp vegetable oil
3/4 cup pureed fruit (I've used strawberry and also blueberry & spinach - amount is estimate) 
Heat the waffle iron. 
In a medium bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients. 
Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until combined. (I used an immersion blender, just keep it way down in the batter to avoid splattering everywhere!) 
Bake according to your waffle iron's directions. 
My lovely assistant

Not so pretty.

Well, that's not right at all.

This, oddly enough, is acceptable, though.

Ah, much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?