Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Just So You Know

Yesterday's post received a comment that I thought deserved its own post, just in case anyone else got the same impression from it.

Anonymous (not Anonymama) wrote:
You are so organized! I aspire to be organized, but I seem to lack motivation. Down in my basement is a rather large pile of stuff from when I used to teach full-time. I don't really need that crap anymore and this week is throw-away-anything week so I should be filling a garbage bag and getting it to the curb. So far I've tossed the bag down the stairs, now I need to go down after it and start filling it. I find that once I start going through stuff, I start thinking I might need some of it sometime and then I start making keep and toss piles. I need to just get rid of all of it. Wish me luck.


Oh, no. No, no, no!

We are the farthest thing from organized. Or productive. Or motivated.

That's why this day was so newsworthy!

You've just described our basement to a T, except that it's filled with baby gear / clothes, holiday decorations, old computer parts, books, probably still some stuff from when I was a teacher, and I don't even want to think about what else!

We are an awful mess around here, but trying to take some baby steps toward getting our act together, in many different areas, just one of which is the house itself.

I have a list a mile long of things that I want to (or at least feel like I need to) change or improve about my self (and our home).

In fact, it would be much, much quicker to list the areas in which I feel like I actually have it more or less together:

Um.
Well
Hmmm.
I think I'm a pretty good mom.
When my kid isn't mauling our friends' children.
Yep, that's about it.

Everything else? Big mess.

The number one reason for the big mess (literal and figurative) is lack of motivation. Because it's just too much  damn effort to go stick some dishes in the dishwasher or fold some clothes or plan a menu or cook a meal or go for a walk or eat a vegetable or pick up the toys or throw out some crap we don't need or clear off my desk or a million, jillion other things that I know I "should" be doing.

I try to read books about getting organized or getting things done, but they all have subtitles like "Stop spending all your time cleaning and make more time for yourself!"

Um, yeah. That is so not my problem.

Where's the "Get off your lazy ass and do something!" book? That's the one I need.

I don't usually blog about that stuff because, well, mostly because it doesn't really make me look so good, but also "Sink Full O'Dishes" isn't exactly scintillating reading, nor is it newsworthy at all over here.

When we actually do accomplish something, though? Stop the presses, because that's something to brag about.

When I read all those blogs that I find via Pinterest and I think about how together and organized and ridiculously motivated those women are, I'll try to remember this comment. Maybe they're as fucked up as I am, and are only blogging about the good stuff.

Hey, a girl can dream, right?

1 comment:

  1. I wish to show thanks to this writer just for bailing me out of this type of dilemma. Just after surfing through the the net and coming across solutions that were not productive, I figured my life was over. Being alive without the solutions to the issues you've fixed by means of your entire website is a critical case, and the ones that would have in a negative way affected my career if I had not encountered your website. The capability and kindness in taking care of the whole lot was priceless. I am not sure what I would have done if I had not come upon such a stuff like this. I can also now look forward to my future. Thank you very much for your expert and effective help. I won't think twice to recommend the sites to anybody who needs recommendations about this matter.
    QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD Arrow Rest LH - Lost Camo

    ReplyDelete

What say you?