Friday, December 16, 2011

The Night 'Afore Christmas

Originally, Peeper and Shrike were planning to go to a MOMS Club "Book and Cook" (read a book, make a related snack) activity this morning, which I think was going to involve a story about Baby Jesus and some angel cookies. Unfortunately, the hostess' son was throwing up in the night, so that was cancelled.

I had another possibility up my sleeve, but wasn't sure we were going to make it there, so I went with this for Peeper's "official" activity "in her drawer."

See that image over there on the right? That's what was on her paper. When she looked at it, she said "It's Santa! It's Santa!" and I said, "Yes, that's a picture of a book about Santa. That's the book that Grandma recorded for you. Remember it? Do you want to listen to it?"

That giant smile instantly disappeared from her little face, she got quiet and said, rather politely, but doubtfully, "Yes."

I believe the word I'm looking for here is "crestfallen."

I. Felt. Awful.

It never occurred to me that when she saw the picture of the book, she would assume that she was going to see Santa Claus. Next year, I will just use a picture of a generic book.

Of course, I immediately started making promises that "We will see Santa again soon. Maybe not today. Or maybe today." and asked her, "Are you disappointed?" and she said "Yes."

Again with the awful.

But, hey, at least I didn't do this to her.

And I think she got over it.





And then we went to see Santa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?