Saturday, May 14, 2011

Square Foot Gardening (Maybe)

While waiting for the rain to hit today, we finally got just about all of our garden planted.

First, I had to string the grid, to divide the box into square feet. That was more challenging that I'd planned for, because I didn't want to put a bunch of eye hooks sticking out of the boards for Peeper to - well, I don't know what, but something awful, I'm sure - so I tied it around the boards, which meant moving the dirt out of the way (although, that did help to get it mixed up) and lifting them and it was just a huge pain in the ass, but it's done.



Then I put in all the plants, and built up a slightly deeper area for potatoes (I'll add more compost as they grow) and an even deeper section for carrots, which I've planted from seed. I'm not at all optimistic that this is going to work, nor that my little walls are going to last any time at all in the rain we're getting right now.


I've also planted tomatoes and peppers, which you can see quite well here, cucumbers, onions and watermelon. I've got pumpkin and spinach seeds that I need to either plant or start indoors, I have to figure out which is better.


If this little plot survives the dogs and the kid and we get even one thing worth eating out of it, it will be something of a miracle.

But, as Shrike pointed out, at the very least, it will be a learning experience for all of us. I just hope that the lesson I learn isn't "Don't spend all your birthday money on building a garden that you're just going to kill, dumbass."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?