Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Yummy Day

Hmm, I didn't realize it at the time, but evidently, I've been slaving over a hot stove all day today.

This morning, I made some corn dog muffins for brunch. I can't really say that DoulaK "gave me the recipe" but she mentioned that her kids love them, and I kind of wung it from there.

Basically, I made cornbread mix according to the directions on the package, and threw in some cut-up hotdogs and some cheese, and baked them in a mini-muffin pan.

Here, they are shown on a small plate with a salad fork. (Hey look, I could be a food photographer for diet food. They always do that, to trick you into thinking you're going to get more than you do.)

I dipped mine in barbecue sauce, and Shrike had hers plain. (We also went back for more, because four mini-muffins does not a meal make. I made two dozen. I think there were about six left.


Peeper blew off the muffins altogether, and ate her barbecue sauce with a spoon. Then, poured a "mi-bit salt" and "mi-bit pepper" in her cup of water. Mmmummy.


For our afternoon snack, Peeper and I had cinnamon toast and cinnamon-cheese toast. Shut up. It's delicious. Think "apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese."

For funsies, I cut them into . . . elephants?


I honestly don't know. This came with a "six-piece set" of cookie cutters from the Dollar Store, which included this, a heart, a flower, a gingerbread man, a butterfly, and the mesh bag that they were all in. Which had to be destroyed to get them out. At least, I'm assuming that's what piece #6 was. Or maybe that's how they ended up at the Dollar Store.

But, at any rate, it being Letter E Week and all, I told Peeper it was an elephant.

(It might be a lion a couple of months from now.)

If you've got any better guesses, by all means, share them in the comments.

But she bought that it was an elephant, and even picked up one of the long, skinny "extra" pieces from "outside the elephant" and told me that it was the trunk!

Then, this evening, we whipped up some sort-of-healthier-than-normalish peanut butter cookies, using the World's Easiest Peanut Butter Cookie recipe, with reduced-fat peanut butter, Egg beaters and Splenda.

I figured out that they come to about 80 calories each, no sugar (except what we're pretending isn't in peanut butter), just protein and, of course, fat. Because "reduced-fat" only goes so far with peanut butter.


And they were, as Anonydaddy would say, "Not bad, for fake food."

Peeper agrees.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, how many grams of protein per cookie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made 20 small cookies, after Peeper and I ate more than our fair share of dough. Your mileage will vary on that, so here's the numbers for the whole recipe and I'll let you do the long division yourself.

    Calories: 1555
    Fat: 112 grams
    Fiber: 24 grams
    Protein: 62 grams
    Sugar: 32 grams

    The not-an-egg had 35 cal / 4 g protein. All the rest of that was from the peanut butter, so if you can find a lower fat/calorie brand, it'll help. (Mine was 190 cal / 14 g fat for 2 tablespoons.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were freaking awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?