Saturday, May 16, 2009

Daily Peep: That's My Girl!

In her hand: Turkey sausage
On her mouth: Barbecue sauce



This afternoon, I got Peeper all set up in her highchair with some veggies, while I tried to make myself some barbecue sausage spaghetti, which involved cutting up some onion and pepper and sausage, tossing them in a pan, and boiling spaghetti.

What I didn't plan on was that it would also involve stopping twice to change big-girl-poopy-diapers, but that's a story that's already been told.>

When I got to the sausage, I thought, "Eh, what the hell." and carved her out a couple of stick-shaped pieces with no skin on them.

(This was a "loop" of precooked packaged sausage. Louis Rich or something similar.)

It had been in the freezer, so I just ran it under hot water so it wasn't painfully cold to handle (I do that before I cut it up, too) and gave it to her.

She definitely seemed to like it and it kept her pretty entertained for quite a while.

By the time my food was ready, she was beyond done with being in the highchair, so I just held her in my lap while I ate.

She was trying to go for my bowl, but it was too hot and everything was cut too small for her, so I tried dipping her sausage stick into a teeeeny bit of barbecue sauce and handing it back.

She chewed on it til it was clean, and when I asked if she wanted some more, I think she tried to drop it in the bowl (now empty, except for sauce).

It missed the bowl, but I dipped it for her and gave it back, and she sucked it clean again, so I dipped it another time or two.

She eventually started dropping the meat sticks on the floor, so I figured she was done with that, but she took my (small plastic) bowl and I think she wanted to lick the sauce out of it, although she couldn't quite figure out what to do!

I know that she was able to get some small bites off of the sausage, because she spit several of them back out, but I'm betting that she swallowed a bit as well.

She didn't seem to have any trouble handling it; there was no gagging at all.

It's probably got more salt and nitrites than she should have on a regular basis, but I don't think a taste now and then will hurt her.

And she sure seemed to enjoy it!

4 comments:

  1. Remember Gerber's meat sticks and chicken sticks? You and your brother loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your sister still loves them. Meat Sticks, not Chicken Sticks. Chicken Sticks are yucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should mention that, because when she was eating this, I thought it reminded me of those or of Vienna sausages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might have to give Nestle a pass when it comes to Meat Sticks. I mean, come on, they're MEAT STICKS. There is no substitute.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?