Thursday, March 5, 2009

Daily Peep: Fresh Cut

One upside to Peeper being born early is that her fingernails were nowhere near long enough to be concerned about for quite awhile.

On the other hand, by the time they did get long, we'd already had her for months, so shouldn't we have been over that brand-new-mommy fear of snipping her little fingers off?

(Answer: No, no we weren't.)

Also, one downside to waiting until you're forty to have a baby is that your poor old (uninsured) eyes can't see baby fingernails.

First, we kind of tried to ignore them, but then she started to scratch her face (bad) and then her nursing habits were becoming more and more kitten-like (worse) so something had to be done.

I've tried filing them, and nibbling them, and begging other people to cut them, all to no avail.

We were even considering cutting them while she's sedated after surgery, because she wouldn't fight us, and if we snipped a finger, she wouldn't know, but then I got worried about introducing bacteria through a cut, so I nixed that idea.

Yesterday, I finally worked up the nerve and cut them.

No blood.

No drama.

No trauma.

Now that I've inspected the results up-close in Photoshop, I see that it's not the prettiest manicure ever, but it got the job done, and that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?