Saturday, January 10, 2009

About That Cat

While we were in Texas, I talked about the cat that Anonydaddy and his brother (allegedly) tricked Anonymama into adopting.

I also posted a video of said kitty helping Shrike to settle Peeper during a crying fit.

Oh, but that's not the end of the cat stories!







After Anonyuncle left, "WhiteCat" (one of several names they went through before finally settling on one) spent a big chunk of the day in Anonymama's lap, consoling her as she watched the Cowboys/Eagles game that she'd Tivoed the day before.

Peeper was already in her lap, but he's obviously used to babies, because he snugged right up to her. Actually, he tried to "make bread" on her, but since he has claws, we didn't allow that.

At one point, I looked over, and they were holding hands - his paw was right on top of her hand - but, of course, they'd moved by the time I got back with the camera.

Then their FirstKitty saw him sitting on her mother, and ooohhh, she did not like that at all.

She yowled at him, and when he didn't leave, she took a step toward him and yowled again.

(That's when I removed Peeper from the scene. I wasn't too keen on my mother maybe ending up in the middle of a cat fight, but I damn sure wasn't going to let my baby stick around for it!)

Still no reaction (he's deaf, remember).

Stalk.

Yowl.

Nothing.

Stalk.

Yowl!

Nothing.

Stalk.

Yowl?

(I swear, there was a question mark on the end of it.)

Until she was literally right behind his head, and he'd still not twitched a whisker.

Finally, we think she actually touched him, and he turned around as if to say, "Oh, were you talking to me?"

She walked away, defeated.







Every time the cats started yowling, I'd think, "Oh! Is that Peeper?!" even if she was in my arms at the time.

The similarity of their cries was not "all in my head" though. . . .

One day, I was thinking "Hmm, I hope Peeper wakes up to nurse soon. Wait, it's not been that long, why am I feeling so. . . ? Oooohhh!" and realized that the cats sounded SO baby-like that they were triggering my milk let-down!

How crazy is that?

I said to Anonymama, "If neither of those cats plans on getting goody, they'd better stop making those sounds!"

Of course, she reminded me that they have sandpaper tongues and one has claws and I wanted no parts of that!







WhiteCat had an appointment with the vet on Tuesday for vaccinations and removal of various offending appendages (claws, testicles). That evening, I received an email from Anonymama:


When WhiteCat went to the vet for his operations, the vet discovered that he had
a diaphragmatic hernia and had most of his innards up in his chest.

He was sure that he had been hit by a car in the past. Said not much else would to that.

After much thought and discussion, we decided to go ahead and have the surgery to repair the hernia and move stuff where it belongs.

That was done yesterday and he is doing well. Will go back in 3 or 4 weeks to do the other surgeries.

He has become one very expensive cat. And I did not want another cat, but once he was ours for a few days, what could we do? The other choice was to put him down as the condition was going to get him before long.

I guess we are just suckers for our cats.


Suckers who now own one very lucky cat.

2 comments:

  1. One very lucky white deaf cat.And do not forget the other cat, also a rescue job, who showed up when the house was under repairs, walked in and had babies. She wound up as our best cat ever (found the babies homes when they were old enough).
    The white cat has used up 4 or 5 lives according to the vet. The poor guy had a bad day the previous day when he sneaked into the dryer while I got the next load of wash going. I started the dryer and it sounded like it had a tennis shoe in it. It made a few revolutions before I opened it up to see what was wrong. When I did, my laundry said (very softly) meow. I thought I had killed him, but he seemed fine. I was sure that that had caused his diaphramatic hernia, but the vet said no. Said it would not do it and it was an old injury (confirmed at surgery the next day). I still feel very guilty. I now peek in before starting each load. I plan to complain to anonybrother in law that he gave up a very defective cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymama -
    You might have noticed that to protect the feeling-very-guilty, I editted out the reference to the dryer incident from your email.

    But, since you brought it up, I feel it my duty to inform the internets that this is actually the second cat that you've tried to dry.

    The first one was fine, too, but it was long-haired, and came out very, very fluffy.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?