Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Overheard: That Shit Ain't Funny Edition

Overheard at the doctor's office last week:

Random medical-type person walking through the lobby, stopping to goo-goo at Peeper: So, are you Grandma?
She also thought Peeper was a boy (Okay, so she was wearing yellow and wrapped in a yellow blankie, but there was also a pink blankie underneath it.), so I'm going to attribute her comments to poor eyesight.

She did try to save herself, mumbling something about, "Oh, now I see the pink in the hat." (She was wearing her pink and blue striped hospital hat - the only one that fits.) and "Oh, yes, now that I get a look at you. . . ."

Nice try. Bitch.

Although, I suppose I also have to admit that there are probably at least as many forty-year-old grandmothers of newborns as there are forty-year-old mothers of newborns.

And, I probably am looking pretty rough these days.

I did feel better yesterday when the lab lady was looking at Peeper's record in the computer, and said, "Are you Shrike?"

I said, "No, I'm Whozat."

"Oh, well we've got Shrike as 'mother' and Whozat as 'grandmother.'"

"No, we're both her mothers. She has two mothers. But thank you for assuming I was not her grandmother. Let me tell you what happened last week . . . ."

2 comments:

  1. The other day I was at the lab getting my blood drawn and the tech asked me if I am Dr. (Anonydaddy)'s mom!!! Tried to get out of it by saying she hadn't seen him in a very long time and said she thought he was just in his fifties. Could have ruined my seventy-fifth birthday suggesting that I looked old! BTW, I have been asked to be a keynote speaker at a church conference on marriage. (Will be small, I am sure.) My assigned topic is "How to stay married for fifty-one years". The first important way to do it is to manage to both stay alive that long! (I mean avoiding disease and accidents, not avoid killing each other. That too, of course.) It is not until April 8, so I do not have to worry about it for a while. Anyhow, both of us have been insulted about age this week. Do I see a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch.

    So, if I'm Peeper's grandma, and you're Anonydaddy's mom, that makes you, what? Peeper's great-great-grandma?!?

    But, on the other hand, I guess Anonydaddy got quite a compliment, if she only thinks he's in his fifties!

    That's very cool about the marriage speech at the conference.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?