Thursday, July 17, 2008

Doula Questions?

So, the local doula that I was talking about the other day is coming over tomorrow to meet with us.

That's all fine and dandy, but now what?

I guess we're supposed to be interviewing her, but it's hard to not feel like it's the other way around.

(We'd better clean the house, or she's going to tell us we can't have a baby!)

So, what the hell are we supposed to ask her?

And do we need to serve cookies or tea or something?

Should they be organic?

(Actually, there's a list of suggested questions on the DONA website, but they all sound kind of, I dunno, something. But I'll take a look at it before tomorrow evening!)

2 comments:

  1. As a doula, most of the questions I am asked are about my experience, why I became a doula, how I feel about [insert intervention here]. Just like when you're interviewing a pediatrician or babysitter or anything like that -- I would focus not only on the answers you get but on the attitude, which in my opinion should be non-judgmental and flexible!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen!

    I think our main thing we'll be looking for tonight is whether we "click." Are we comfortable with her, and vice versa.

    I also want to ask enough good questions to not look like an idiot :-)

    ReplyDelete

What say you?