Friday, April 25, 2008

S/he's Got Legs . . .

First, and foremost: Everything is fine.

Peeper is great.

In fact, Peeper is an inch-long package of embryonic (soon-to-be-fetal) perfection, with arms and legs and (if the rumors are to believed) a tongue and a nose - and a butthole (like we didn't already have enough of those in the world!)

And here's the proof:

Now that we've established that, I'll explain that we had another ultrasound this morning, because the little shit darling gave us a bit of a scare earlier in the week.

We hadn't mentioned this to anyone, nor had I blogged about it, because we were 99.99999999% sure that everything was fine, so we saw no need in getting people worried for nothing.

Now that we know that for sure that all is well, I'll go back and tell the whole story.

On Tuesday, I'd taken the day off work to engage in some electorally-related activities that were going on in these parts. I'd planned to be out and about by 7 am, but didn't manage to actually drag my ass out of bed til around 8 am, so I decided I'd make phone calls for a while, then head out around lunch-ish.

About 10:30 am, I took a break from my calls, and went to the bathroom, where I discovered that I was spotting, just the tiniest little bit, but certainly enough to freak me out.

(As you might imagine, at nine weeks pregnant, the amount of spotting required to cause freaking out is pretty fucking minimal.)

Now, I knew, intellectually, that spotting in early pregnancy is quite normal, and nothing to be overly concerned about, provided that it's not heavy or bright red or accompanied by significant cramping, but still. Yeah. Pretty freaked out.

I immediately made calls to both my fertility clinic and my regular OB. By the time I was done leaving voicemails for them, Shrike had consulted Dr. Google, and was quizzing me about cramps and color and amount, and telling me exactly what I said above.

By that point, of course, I had already decided that my activities for the day would not involve standing around outside for hours at a time, talking to strangers.

While I waited for nurses to call me back, I went to lie down, because it seemed like the thing to do.

At this point in the story, I would be remiss if I did not describe just how wonderful Shrike was during this whole episode. I keep telling her this, and she keeps telling me that I'm being silly, but I really mean it.

She handled it just perfectly. She was appropriately concerned, yet very reassuring. She told me that everything would be fine (and mostly convinced me) without ever making me feel like I was overreacting.

When I retreated to the bed, Shrike joined me and snugged me, and petted me, and let me freak out and cry for a bit. Then we both fell asleep.

Because that seemed like the thing to do.

The first call back was from the nurse at my regular OB's office who told me what I already knew (see above) and said that everything should be just fine, but to call back if anything changed.

When I'd not yet heard back from Nurse E at the fertility clinic, I called them again, and this time told the receptionist what was going on (the first time, I just asked for Nurse E's voicemail).

Because Nurse E is technically no longer our nurse, since we moved to IVF, she made me talk to another nurse, part of Nurse D's donor team (Nurse D was not in, as she only works Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Must be nice.).

Note: I really like Nurse D too, but "she's not my real nurse." And, it's kind of a pain in the ass that she's only there every other day. When we were in the middle of the IVF process, it made sense to deal with the nurses who specifically work with donor-egg IVF patients but, at this point, Nurse E knows the answers to my questions just as well as they do, so if I have my choice, I'd rather deal directly with her.

Anyway, that nurse told me the same thing, again, but also that, "if it were me, I'd want to come in for another ultrasound in a few days, just for my peace of mind."

Bingo! That's the answer I was looking for!

Let's see, ultrasound three days from now - or three weeks from now? What ever shall I do?

"Well, if you think I should. Can you transfer me to the scheduler right now?"

I was already feeling much better about everything by that point (from what the nurses had said, and the fact that nothing was changing spotting-wise; it wasn't getting heavier or any different), when Nurse E called to reassure me some more.

She agreed that the ultrasound was a dandy idea, and also assured me that something terrifying happens to every pregnant woman at some point along the way (for her, it was a fall down a flight of stairs!) and told me not to hesitate to call back if I needed to.

The spotting continued to be very, very, very light through Tuesday and Wednesday and had pretty much stopped by yesterday.

I was feeling pretty confident about things at that point, but was of course, still pretty nervous by the time the ultrasound rolled around this morning.

Of course, as soon as the dildo-cam was in position (when do I get to switch to abdominal ultrasounds?) we saw Peeper right away, including his/her little heart beating just as it should be - and a hint of some stubby little legs!

S/he is 24.7 mm long (just shy of an inch), which corresponds to 9 weeks 1 day, with a heart rate of 182 beats per minute (which is, evidently, just right).

There was no sign of any bleeding going on inside my uterus, or anything else to cause any concern.

Dr E (like the nurses) said that there are any number of inconsequential things that can cause a little bit of bleeding during pregnancy, and that, while it's very scary at the time, it's usually nothing to worry about.

She did recommend that I "take it easy" with no heavy lifting or strenuous physical activity for a few days, but other than that, everything is just fine.

So, the upshot is that we got a bonus look at Peeper, which I was happy to have, spotting or not.

My next appointment will be on May 8 with Dr B, my regular OB and then I have another appointment on May 14 with the perinatologist, for the nuchal translucency ultrasound.

I'll try to resist coming up with any other excuses for additional ultrasounds between now and then.

10 comments:

  1. Oh yay! What a relief... I'd be just the same way, and so eager to get the ultrasound right away! Why wait and worry for weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know whether to say thank you for not worrying me or to threaten your life for not letting me know what was going on. I tend toward the latter because I am left with the sense that I will never know everything is OK if I don't hear about problems. However, ya'll are grownups, hard as that is to except, and are smart enough to make good decisions. I worry anyway; don't know why. Old age, I guess. But I have confidence that we will have a beautiful, healthy baby next Thanksgiving. Boy or girl, either one, will be great.
    Guess you missed all the excitement of primary day, huh? If you are not careful, you will miss out on the election day in November. Due dates are notoriously inaccurate, though probably not so much so when you know the instant of fertilization.
    Anyway, really happy things are OK. Can't wait to see the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relieved that all is well! Take care and get rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruh roh. I knew it.

    Whozat: After the ultrasound, are you ok if I blog about this?

    Shrike: Won't your mom and LadyKay be mad?

    Whozat: Probably.

    I promise, if there had really been anything to worry about, I would have called, but after being reassured by three nurses and the interwebs, even I was feeling pretty okay about it all, by Tuesday evening.

    I probably wasn't any more nervous this morning than I have been about the other ultrasounds.

    Certainly less so than I was about the first one, before we knew that there really was a Peeper in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Anonymama is trying to blame worrying on old age... So what was it that made you worry about everything 40 years ago? :D

    Glad that everything thing is good. What she said about not sure whether I am relieved to have not worried or not. We'll just leave it at glad everything is okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew. I'm so glad that the peeper is okay. I had bleeding with Julian, also. John was out of town and the kids (well, the kid at that point) and I were at my parent's house (more than 1,000 miles away from my OB). I was about 9 weeks pregnant and saw bright red blood...yeah, not a lot but you don't want ANY...when I peed. I freaked out and cried for my mommy to come into the bathroom with me (maybe you should have called anonymama ;-) ). Luckily the on-call Dr. in TX was very kind and reassuring.
    Obviously all was okay but it was scary.
    I totally understand your fear.

    Hey...I could even tell those body parts without the labels so your baby must really look like a baby now! I stink at ultrasound pictures.

    I'm so glad all is okay. This is just the beginning of this little one giving you little heart palpitations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LK - Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

    (Although, I suspect that her biggest worry 40 years ago was probably "When the hell am I going to have this damn baby?!?")

    Actually - interesting story about Anonymama and her worrying, back in the day.

    When I was a teenager, I didn't have a set curfew; it varied according to the situation.

    One of the variables was what time Anonymama had to get up in the morning, which I did not understand, because she was generally in bed when I got home anyway.

    She would say, "Be in by 11, because I have an early morning" and I would say, "But you're going to go to bed at 10 anyway" and she would say, "But I can't really get to sleep until I know you're home."

    Of course, I never believed that, because I knew that the real reason she wanted me home at 11 pm was to ruin my life.

    (Because, you know, life ruining is the only reason the parent of a 17-year-old does anything, right?)

    However, once I'd gone off to college, and she was no longer used to knowing where I was or what time I was getting in (probably a good thing - because I'm sure she wouldn't have wanted to know) when I came home to visit, I no longer had a curfew, but was expected (out of courtesy) to let her know when I got in at night.

    I found that, whereas in high school, I'd just peek in her bedroom and say, "Mama, I'm home." and she'd acknowledge me, now I had to practically yell to wake her, and finally took to just taping a note inside her bedroom door, so that when she woke up, she could see at a glance whether I was in yet.

    So, although I still didn't really understand her worrying (I do understand it much more so now, and will even more, I'm sure, once Peeper is going out on his/her own) at least at that point I did believe what she was telling me about not being able to sleep until we were in safely.

    All that said, we won't have to worry like that about Peeper, because s/he is not going to be allowed to leave the house without one of us until s/he is thirty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LiPA - Yikes, "bright red" is much scarier than what I was seeing.

    I'm glad to hear that you could make out the Peeper parts in the ultrasound.

    I think some people get thrown off by the fact that they only show a cross-section, or sort of the shadow of the baby, and you aren't going to see any surface features jumping out at you, making them rather impressionistic.

    Peeper's photos (well, the two most recent) seem very clear and obvious to me, but I think it also helps that we saw the live version, that showed more than just that one view - and that I've looked at so many in preparation for each scan!

    Here's what's dumb though - when people tell me they can't make out the parts, or that it just "looks like a blob" (after the first couple) I find myself getting all offended.

    Oy, I really am going to be that parent, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good thing too since I am allergic to confrontation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You mean it's a good thing I'll be that parent, so you don't have to?

    ReplyDelete

What say you?