Thursday, April 10, 2008

Peeking at Peeper

Our second obstetric (hee hee, I just love saying that!) ultrasound is tomorrow morning, and need I mention that I have, once again, worked myself into a tizzy over it, despite a complete lack of evidence that anything might be going wrong.

I am feeling more confident about it that I was last week, before the first ultrasound, when the idea of seeing a tiny human inside me (or, you know, a flickering streak that they tell me is a human) was just so unreal that I could hardly even let myself believe that it would actually happen, but I'm still a bit of a big 'ol fret-ball (as Shrike would put it).

Speaking of what Peeper might look like tomorrow, I've been Googling "seven week ultrasound" and based on the photos I've found, I've got high hopes that s/he'll be looking more blob-ish and three-dimensional than last week.

I don't think we'll be able to identify any parts just yet, but even some of the nine- and ten-week photos I've seen are starting to look a bit humanoid, so maybe it won't be too long before we see something a little more familiar-looking.

In the meantime, I'll just be happy to see a correctly-sized blob with a correctly-beating heart tomorrow morning.

5 comments:

  1. i love the way the little picture in your blog looks as though s/he is smiling, even if it probably is gill slits. Ever hear the saying that"oncology recapitulates phylogeny". Or is the word "oncology"? That's the word I remember, but who knows now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.

    I'm only familiar with it because it was a line in some play that I was in, probably in middle school or high school?

    It had nothing to do with the plot, but was one of the "smart things" that one of the characters (not mine) went around saying for no particular reason.

    What's amazing is that at only seven weeks (five, really) Peeper has already been a vertebrate for a while!

    And within a few days, s/he will be a mammal - as hair follicles and mammary tissue start developing.

    (Well, and that whole "living in a uterus, connected to a placenta" thing, which is pretty much all about the mammalness.)

    Which reminds me that it's only a few more days after that til s/he gets nipples.

    Nipples! On a fetus!

    How crazy is that!

    Especially given that if s/he's a he, he won't need them at all!

    What's the "Intelligent" Design take on that one? That they are just "decorations?"

    (Seriously, I read that somewhere.)

    Of course, there are those (in the "don't disgust me by feeding your child in my presence crowd) who seem to think that they're just decorations on women, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, they have a function on men too. ;D (I could explain it, but Anonymama will read this - ewwww!)


    Can't wait to get the latest ultrasound report!

    ReplyDelete
  4. refreshing like mad! where are the cell phone updates we sometime get?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Touche' LK, but I guess that goes along with those people who think the only purpose for any of them is entertainment.

    My favorite - in the sense of most outrageous - story along those lines is the woman who was told that she couldn't nurse her baby in Victoria's Secret.

    Hello! Exposed boobs are company's whole reason for existance!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?