Sunday, February 10, 2008

Pizza

Believe it or not, we've been making pizza - from scratch! (mostly) - quite a bit lately. It only takes a few minutes, and it's actually pretty damn good.

We started with a kit, but used our own cheese, instead of the nasty powder that came with it, and added some pepperoni to my side.

Then we graduated to jarred sauce and bags of "just add water" crust mix, along with the cheese and pepperoni.

Next, I decided to add some veggies (to my side), and then started doctoring up the crust itself.

The last time I got a hankering for it, I realized I was out of crust mix, so I did a bit of Googling and found a no-yeast recipe.

Easy-peasy!

So, after some extensive evolution, here's my pizza recipe. Sorry about the lack of amounts - you'll just have to throw everything in/on there til it looks right.


Whozat's Extra Special Crust Pizza

Crust Ingredients
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup oil (I use olive)

Extra Special Crust Add-Ins
(This is the part you'll have to eyeball)
Italian seasoning
Garlic powder
Parmesan cheese
Shredded cheese (whatever you plan to put on top - not too much)

Sauce
We've not ventured into making our own sauce yet, we just use something from a jar

Toppings
(Use whatever you like - this is how I make it)
Shredded cheese (I usually use a couple of kinds, generally some sort of mozzarella and a Colby-Jack or Mexican blend (not spicy) or whatever I've got)
Parmesan cheese
Pepperoni, chopped
Onions, chopped
Bell peppers, chopped (in a variety of colors)

  1. Preheat oven to 425°.
  2. Mix dry crust ingredients, then "extra special add-ins," then wet ingredients. Without add-ins, use the noted amounts of milk and oil. With add-ins, you'll need a bit more.
  3. Mix and knead dough, then cover and let sit in a warm place for 10 - 15 minutes.
  4. While dough is rising, chop veggies and sliced pepperoni, and mix them together.
  5. When dough is ready, roll it out only a greased pan. This dough recipe claims to make two 13-inch pizzas; I made one pretty big one.
  6. Top generously with sauce, cheeses, toppings. Shrike's side gets just cheese; mine gets pepperoni and veggies, as well. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of everything.
  7. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes. It may take longer in your oven, but ours is a bit overzealous.

6 comments:

  1. Commenting to myself here, to add that I should have mentioned that we were kind of inspired to try our hand at pizza by LiPA, because she served us homemade when we had dinner at her house :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. That anonymous poster is certainly not my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. That anonymous poster is certainly not my mother.

    ??? I'm guessing something got deleted... Something interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. Cahraziness. I was going to leave it, but then it got too wierd and crazy and racist and everything else-ist and long as hell, and I didn't the kind of people who would google for that sort of thing to stumble in here.

    But, I saw a post in my email from "Anonymous" and clicked on it, thinking "Hmm, I wonder what Anonymama has to say about my pizza recipe."

    Boy, was I in for a surprise when it started with a string of expletives and turned into crazy ranting about, well, I'm not really sure what.

    But, evidently, Italians are bad. Among others. But particularly the Italians.

    I think it has something to do with the gods. Or the aliens.

    Or with Hillary Clinton aging less well than John McCain.

    Huh???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Hillary is aging quite well and her voice is not as irritating as his. But I still don't know who to vote for. Are there any Italians running? Oh never mind, I think he dropped out.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?