Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas: The Extended Play Version

Because of everyone's crazy work schedules, we usually kind of wing it with the timing on Christmas. This year, we have three days of family events - none of which are actually happening on December 25 - plus our own celebration at home.

Yesterday, we went to Shrike's parents' house for Christmas dinner and gift extravaganza with extended family. The crowd for dinner included us, her parents, grandparents, aunt and uncle, sister and her partner, ex-husband and two kids.

The gift opening was a bit less crazy than usual, since we drew names for "Secret Santa" this year, rather than everyone buying for everyone else. Of course, we all bought gifts for the kids, and her parents got "a little something" for each of us.

I got a couple of great cobalt pieces, some slipper socks (which were on my list, and they didn't even know it!) and some other small things.

I think the gift Shrike's most excited about is a short-handled shovel, and a pair of gardening gloves. (Correct me if I'm wrong, honey.)

Later, Shrike's cousin, her partner and Baby R stopped by for a while, on their way home from dinner with cousin's mom. It was good to see them again, and to get a "baby-fix."

When we got home, I called my family in Texas, who are also playing fast and loose with the calendar, to accommodate my brother and his wife spending the holidays with both families.

They were in the middle of opening gifts, so they put me on speaker phone and narrated. We decided to go ahead and open our gifts from them while we were talking to them, so it was almost like being there. Almost.

Of course, our big gift from my parents is the IVF money, but we certainly appreciated the "few things to open," as well. I'd say that the highlights there were some really cute jammies and lots of socks for both of us (I know, we're pathetic, aren't we!) and a couple of big rawhide bones for the pups.

As I was carrying the gifts into the office to open, BigGaloot started sniffing around one bag, and sure enough, it was address to him and PerfectPup. We went ahead and let him open it first, and by the time we got off the phone (which was quite a while later) he had completely devoured his, and was starting on hers!

My sister and her kids also did quite well with the gifting. I got some beautiful Japanese Bird Bells which will join my collection of windchimes in the backyard, and Shrike got a garden plaque / stepping stone that says "Grow Dammit."

They thought that was more appropriate for her than the ones that said things like "You're never closer to God than when you're in the garden." They are right.

Today, I'm working (don't even get me started) until around 2:30, and this evening we're having dinner with Shrike's immediate family at her sister's house. Afterward, we'll all go to the Christmas Eve service at their church.

Tomorrow, Shrike and I will open our gifts to and from each other before she goes to work in the evening. When she gets home, I'll get yet another estrogen injection.

Wednesday, I have a doctor's appointment in the morning, then go to work for about four hours, then Shrike's sister and her partner are having a big party that evening.

And then, I think, it will be over.

2 comments:

  1. We had our Christmas today(I have to work on Tuesday),and I am tickled pink over new socks and underwear! Much more than the boys!

    Hope you both have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And almost like having ya'll here. But not really quite like it.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?