Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #39


Thirteen of Our Christmas Decorations

I bought this with my employee discount at my first job - in the housewares (and holiday) department at The White House over Christmas break my senior year of high school. I have quite a collection of mouse ornaments. I'm sure LadyKay will be happy to explain the origins of my interest in mice.


I like things that look like something else, or that are made out of something else. Is it a snowman or is it a bell? It's a conundrum!


I also have quite a collection "campy" and "woodsy" type ornaments. It didn't really start as an intentional collection, but I like them, so I've got a lot. Some were gifts from "camp friends," others I bought myself.




PerfectPup's First Chrismas


Learn more about this guy here.


Democratic Donkey - I bought him at the beach last year.


This is Blind Santa. He was a gift from one of my 6th graders. She painted him herself. Can you tell?

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

Thursday Thirteen Blog Roll

8 comments:

  1. Number 2 could be a Dallas Cowboy helmet with a snowman on top. The mouse history is that, as a newborn, her father called her Elizamouse for some unknown reason. That became just Mouse until Mama made everybody stop for fear she would be stuck with it as a nickname for life. The connection stayed, however, and numerous toy, etc. with a mouse theme were given to her. And we still called her that some. Thinking back, I just remembered where it started. At that time a common playful insult was "rat fink". I called her that and amended it to "mouse fink", because she was so tiny (a few days old). The whole mouse thing is a cherished part of family history that is probably meaningless to anybody else, but very special to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It shouldn't surprise me that Anonymama immediately saw "Dallas Cowboys" in the Christmas Star on the snowman's bell/butt!

    She is a HUGE Cowboy's fan and she has several actual Cowboys ornaments on her Christmas tree.

    The rules have been relaxed a bit now that they have TiVo, but back in the day, you were not allowed to call her house when the Cowboys were playing, because she'd be distracted from the game and how were they going to win without her help?!?

    That reminds me of a funny story about my paternal grandfather. The last several years of his life, he alternated staying with our family and with my uncle, and when he was with us, he would watch the games with my mom.

    During the preseason, when games were broadcast tape-delayed, Granddad would listen to them on the radio, live, but Anonymama didn't want to know anything until she could watch it herself.

    She wouldn't even open the sports page for fear of finding out what had happened the night before and spoiling the game.

    Granddad always found a way to give it away, though.

    If the 'Boys were trailing late in the game, he might say, "Oh, I wouldn't worry yet," just before the big come-back.

    Or if they were ahead, he might suddenly say, "Well, I'm not going to bother staying up to see the rest of it," whereupon they'd immediately blow the lead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday the big Cowboy/Packer game was not on cable here, but was on direct TV. We left right after (father) got out of the office, drove to BIG city 90 miles away and watched with son and daughter in law. Drove home at 11 to 12:30 through horrendous fog. But worth it all! The Cowboys won!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the pinecone and the Donkey. Those are pretty.

    My T13 is here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your ornaments...we had the first one, the mouse, at my house growing up. I love the acorn one.
    Hey, I had a dream the other night that I read on here that you had two positive preg. tests! I hope it comes true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHA i like the smores one. That's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the democratic donkey one is my favorite. http://georgiagin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the acorn. In fact, it is now my life's goal to find an acron ornament.

    Great list. I have quite the random assortment of ornaments on my tree as well.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?