Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Looking Forward

No news so far from the pee sticks, which, at this point (13 days post ovulation) is probably an indication that there's not going to be any good news this cycle.

Again.

I know, I know, I know this is only our third attempt, and if we were straight and in our twenties and doing this the old fashioned way, we wouldn't even be beginning to fret yet (although we might still be getting frustrated).

But I'm damn near forty and my eggs are fast approaching their "best if used by" date.

(Technically, I guess we've past that.)

And we're paying a pretty penny for every sperm, and for someone to stick them in me, so the money is quickly dwindling.

So, yeah, we are kind of beginning to fret.

Or, at least, I am.

I'm not expecting to get any big, wonderful surprises from a pee stick or the beta, so we're looking at next cycle.

(Of course, that's why they call it a "surprise," isn't it?)

If my beta is negative (as we expect it will be), Dr E wants to do the same medication protocol next cycle (Clomid days 3 - 7, followed by injectible FSH on days 7 and 9) but is strongly encouraging us to do two IUIs instead of just one.

We've resisted that so far, because of the additional cost (most likely $480 more for the second vial, even shipping the two together), but she says that it will "greatly increase" our chances.

Since the frozen sperm only has a lifespan of about 6 - 12 hours after thawing, doing IUIs at 12 and 36 hours after the trigger shot will definitely expand our window of opportunity for getting egg and sperm in the same place at the same time.

So, I think that will be the plan.

If the timing goes like this past cycle, at least one, possibly both, IUIs could end up on a weekend, which would be great. I really hate the idea of having to miss two days of work in a row.

Well, technically, I don't mind missing work, but I do mind having to get someone to cover for me.

Especially since "someone" is generally one of my supervisors!

So, two more pee sticks and a beta before we're sure, but for now, I'm going on the assumption that I'll be hitting the bar when we're at the beach this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, that sucks! Have fun at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry...your plan for next time sounds good though. And hey, if you have twins (or more) just look at it this way, you get all of your births out of the way at once. ;-) The matching outfits are adorable, also.
    Hope you have fun at the beach.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?