Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Hello? Hello?

Sunday evening, we got ready to go out to dinner, and I couldn't find my cell phone.

After looking around the house, I remembered that I'd worn sweat pants while walking the dogs that afternoon, and realized that it must have fallen off of my waistband somewhere along the way.

There was nothing to do but retrace our steps and look for it.

That afternoon, we'd taken a different route than usual, and we started our search by heading across the field that was the last part of our route before getting back into our neighborhood.

As we got there, I remembered that when were there earlier, BigGaloot had spotted a bunny and taken off running after it, yanking the leash right out of Shrike's hand.

She started to run after him, but I saw that he'd stopped, when it went under a fence and got away from him. (There was a shed blocking Shrike's view, but I could see him.)

I told her to stop, and just called him. He came running right back to her.

We were both so excited that he'd actually come back - even when tempted by a bunny - that I ran over to where they were and we jumped around and gave him all kinds of petting and praise and hoopla.

I figured that the phone must have fallen off when I was running, so it must be somewhere in that area.

It was getting dark, and the sad little flashlight that Shrike had brought wasn't doing the job.

My phone was set on vibrate, so I knew we wouldn't hear it, but it lights up when it rings, so Shrike went back home, grabbed her phone and met me back in the field.

After calling my phone several times, to no avail, we decided we'd better check the rest of our route.

As we walked, I repeatedly dialed my phone, as we looked for the blue lights. No luck.

Eventually, we were back in the field, and decided to give it another look before giving up. This time, we walked a little farther along, trying to remember where I was when I ran, and where PerfectPup and I had met up with Shrike and Galoot.

Just then - I saw a faint blue glow in the grass.

I walked over, and sure enough, there was my phone.

With sixty-two missed calls from Shrike.

6 comments:

  1. Lucky dawg. Ba dum dum, tssss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, glad you found it. Great job Big Galut!!! Glad you listened, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so tired of picking up a flashlight when I needed it and having it not work that I got a rechargeable one. It was plugged into the recharger too. Which was not plugged into the wall. It was one of those hand-crank kind. Let's just say my hands are hurting still today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lost my phone playing in the snow. By the time I realized it, it had snowed and snowed some more. I found it in the spring.

    Good thing you were able to retrace your steps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, glad you found it. One of ours went through the wash the other day. It is really... clean. It is currently sitting, with its battery out, in fromt of a fan. We are trying to let it dry out very, very thoroughly before we attempt to turn it on and see if it might have survived. We're hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shrike neglected to mention the annoying, whining sound that the hand-crank flashlight made the whole time, while I was trying to listen for the bzzz-bzzz, bzzz-bzzz of my phone on vibrate.

    Or the too-dim-to-see-the-phone-in-the-dark but maybe-bright-enough-to-drown-out-the-phone's-blue-light glow that it provided.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?