Monday, August 20, 2007

It's Show Time!

I made the drive down to OldWorkTown this morning, to visit my old friend the dildocam.

I was expecting to get a follicle update and to be told to come back on Wednesday to take another look.

Instead, as I was in the stirrups, trying to make sense of the image on the screen, Nurse E said, "Well, we're ready to trigger!"

Whaaa?!?

Yepper, I've got one follicle (on the left side again) at 19 mm. (Trigger size is 18 mm.)

She told me that I would need to take the shot today, and the IUI would probably be Wednesday, but based on my blood work, could be tomorrow.

Oh crap - the shot!

I had called the pharmacy on Friday to order it. It was going to be sent out today, for delivery tomorrow.

For a few minutes there, I was afraid that I would either have to drive another thirty minutes or so (in the direction away from work) to pick it up, or send Shrike for it - about ninety minutes each way.

Luckily, she was able to find one there, so she just gave it to me and told me to keep it in the fridge at work. Whew!

Speaking of work, when I got there I updated my Regional Director on the situation. She comes to my center on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, and on Tuesdays and Fridays she is at her own center. Tomorrow she's got things going on there, so she can't skip out to cover for me.

I called ED1 (who oversees our centers), and she said she'd be happy to come in and cover for me if needed.

Around 3 pm, Nurse E called back to say that my LH is 35, which means that I'm definitely either already surging or just about to, and we need to do the IUI tomorrow morning. Or as early as they can get me in.

She said to "Go ahead and do the shot tonight; the earlier the better."

I told her, "It's here with me. Should I do it now?"

"Yes, if you can."

So, I sucked it up and gave it to myself!

I don't think I could have done it if Shrike not done it so painlessly last month.

I tried once and just poked myself a bit but the needle didn't go in. That hurt a little, but not much. Then I figured I'd better rare back and really stab it, like they showed in the instruction video.

So, I did (I think I closed my eyes!) and it went all the way in, just like it was supposed to, and I didn't feel it at all.

I squirted it in (reeeaaalllly slooowwwllly) and pulled it out and I was all done!

Whew!

But first, I called RE's other office (where the sperm is stored, and where we'll do the insemination) to change the appointment. We will call them at 10:30 tomorrow morning, to tell them we're on our way and it's time to thaw and wash the sperm. Then, our actual appointment is at noon.

I think we'll start out in separate cars and drop mine at Shrike's work, then ride together to the doctor. That way, I can drop her at work when we're done, so she doesn't have to come home only to retrace her route, back to work.

I'm taking off the whole day, so I can take it easy.

So, here we go again!

4 comments:

  1. Respect! You shot yourself up!
    Good luck with the insem tmw (today? I can never figure out this time difference thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Good luck gals!!
    And good for you for giving yourself the shot. My partner has refused so i've already got a couple of friends lined up when the time comes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck!

    I am feeling ripped off here- my sperm wasn't 'washed', yet it was from the source- hehe~

    ReplyDelete

What say you?