Sunday, April 8, 2007

Stuffed Bunnies

I wish I'd taken a photo of the table after everyone left, before we started cleaning up, so I could show just how very ridiculous it was for us to worry about whether we'd have enough food.

At the very least, I wish I'd gotten a photo of the table after everyone got here with the dishes that they brought. In addition to our contributions, shown below, everyone who came brought at least one thing.

We did our best to make sure that it all got eaten up (I made an especially valient effort, considering my teeny-tiny-toddler-tummy) but, alas, we failed miserably.

Can I interest you in some leftovers?

Other than the ton of food (which really can't be a bad thing) we had a very nice day.

We had just the right number of people for our living room: Shrike and me, and her parents, sister* and her partner*, (ex) brother-in-law, niece, nephew, maternal grandparents, cousin* and her partner* (and their fetus, due early August).

*Sidebar:
On Shrike's dad's side of the family, there are four grandkids: Shrike and her sister, and two cousins. Final score: one boy, three lesbians.
Now, the photos:
The participants in this little Easter parade came from a box of decorations that Shrike's grandma gave us, because they are cleaning out their house to move. She has sold Avon for years and years, so you can imagine. You should've seen the ones I didn't use.


These are the buckets o' candy, on the table.


Brownies and peanut butter cookies.


Clockwise, from top left: Toni's Baked Potato Salad, Spaghetti Salad, Mama's Cheese Ball, Broccoli Surprise, Crackers, Bucket o'Jelly Beans


I think this photo shows all the food that we provided. Others brought: Pumpkin Pie, Chocolate Cake, Carrot Cake, Fruit Salad, "Green Fluffy Stuff" (jello/fruit salad), Deviled Eggs, Green Beans, Baked Beans and Rolls.

5 comments:

  1. Those strawberries look so good! Hope the BPS was a hit for you. I could eat my weight in that stuff!

    So both Shrike and her sister are gay? Proves my theory. I have always said you are born gay. That it is not a choice. Why would someone choose a life that is more difficult?? I know things have come a long way, but still. You know what I mean right?? I don't want Shrike after me!

    Also, you keep mentioning that Shrike has an (ex) BIL, was her sister married to a man at one point? I know, I am so nosy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the potato salad was a hit, thanks!

    Yep, Shrike and her sister (and their cousin) are gay.

    I honestly don't know to what degree sexual orienation is genetic, but I totally agree that it's inborn (there are some theories about hormones in utero - but most of that research is with the fellas).

    I certainly did not "decide" anything, other than that I would stop running from who I am and live my truth.

    And, yes, both Shrike and her sister were previously married to men. (You may have read about that in my archives.)

    Shrike's ex is long gone, moved out of town but, of course, her sister and her ex have two kids together, so that's a totally different story.

    They have joint custody of the kids and everyone gets along really well.

    He is still totally part of her family, and he, she, and her partner all attend family functions.

    I wrote it as (ex) bil because it's confusing to say bil, AND sister's partner, but on the other hand, it doesn't really feel like he's an ex, because he's still such a part of the family.

    I've really got to hand it to them, if there's a right way to do divorce, they've definitely found it.

    The cousin, btw, was a little quicker on the uptake and came out pretty young, without any boy-marriage along the way.

    She and her partner are now expecting their first child - they did in vitro fertilization and partner is carrying a baby made with cousin's egg.

    Very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. . . . and yes, I totally agree with what you said about "why would you choose . . . ." You are absolutely right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dn't mean to be a butthead but I don't *totally* agree about "why would you choose..." I do believe that most gay people are born gay and if you have seen some of them, OMG, they couldn't be anything else. And it is a little difficult for me personally,because I hate being *different* in any way. My favorite place is in the bacground. If I could have a magic power, I would be invisible. I cannot stand to be noticed. However, we have very seldom come up against the discrimination in a social way. Yeah, there is the legal discrimination and that is a pain in the ass. And the biological aspect of me not being able to make Whozat pregnant sucks too. But the times they are a changin' and I do think it is a lot harder for gay men. As for me, even if I could choose now to not be gay, I wouldn't. Not unless Whozat is planning a sex change. No, I do not like being *different* but I would dislike even more being without the person who means the most to me and knows me/understands me/yet still accepts me. So if they come up with the cure, I don't want it. Though, to be fair, women are trying sometimes. And Toni, no one is scared of me. I maybe can intimidate our cats. And what can you say about them but they are a bunch of...oops gotta go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh honey, I totally agree with you there.

    Years ago, I would never have said "Hey, what the hell, I think I'll be gay!" but now I wouldn't change a thing, either, because if I weren't gay I wouldn't be with you.

    (Although it would be really nice if you could knock me up.)

    ReplyDelete

What say you?