Thursday, April 5, 2007

More Job Angst

Not sure why, but I've not been coming up with too much to say here, lately.

Maybe because I've actually been staying rather busy, doing some work for OldJob.

I talked to OfficeMgr today and she told me that they are hoping to really work on marketing and building the business in the next few months, and are hoping that before too long, they'll be in a position to have two (or at least one-and-a-half) developers, and that if that happens, I will definitely be their first choice.

Of course, I can't count on that, but it's good to know that they are thinking along those lines.

I told her that, especially after we have a baby, I would really like to be able to work from home and we agree that it's gone pretty smoothly so far this week.

She said that they'd even discussed the possibility of a part-time arrangement, in which they'd guarantee me, say, 30 hours, and go from there.

All very, very attractive ideas - especially later.

I told her to please let me know when they are ready to add a developer, even if I'm working elsewhere fulltime, because I am definitely interested.

One thing that's been bothering me is the thought that, once I'm pregnant, I'm stuck where I am, because it's very hard to get somebody to hire you when you're pregnant (although that's illegal) and because a new insurance policy might not cover the pregnancy (could still be an issue).

I think having the possibility of going back to OldJob in a few months, or after the baby, makes me a little more comfortable about the idea of taking either StateJob or TutoringCenter (if I'm offered either) even though neither is perfect.

Tomorrow morning is my second interview for TutoringCenter, so I suppose I ought to try to get some sleep tonight.

On Monday, I have a phone interview for another position that I applied for on sort of a whim. I'm not really sure I understand what it entails, and I don't think I'm really qualified, but they looked at my resume and called me, so I guess they think I am.

I think it's a little closer than CapitalCity (maybe 45 or 50 minutes away? could be an hour?) and would pay a bit more than the top end of the StateJob range, which is about $5K more than I was making at OldJob.

Hmmm, maybe I can fake it?

For now, I'm trying to come up with just about anything in the universe to think about other than this whole God damned job thing, though.

I've been over and over and over the same things in my head and I really can't make any kind of decision until someone makes me an offer, and I can't make any kind of informed decision until both (all?) make me an offer, or at least I know whether they are going to.

I'm not getting anywhere by worrying about it right now, but it's hard to think of anything else.

Oh, of course, I'm still obsessing about baby stuff, but that takes me right back to "but we can't start until I have a job."

AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

10 comments:

  1. You have succeeded! I am completely confused and drooling on myself. Not in a good way either. I don't know what to do, not that it's my decision. I full realize you are just putting all your thought down here, and I am ease dropping. I wish you lots (and lots) of luck as you figure this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, just spreadng the joy that is the limbo in which I live!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was the deleted comment? Was someone rude? Do I have to kill again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Settle down, Killer.

    It was actually a comment by ME with a dumb typo. You can't edit comments once they are posted, so I deleted it and retyped it correctly. I didn't the who world would know!

    It was kind of a Freudian typo. Instead of ". . . spreading the joy that is the limbo . . ." I typed ". . . spreading the JOB . . . ."

    What a goober.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and thanks for stopping by, honey. I'll have to watch what I'm saying about it, if you're going to be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I didn't the who world would know!" Jesus! What's with me and the typos?!? Let's try ". . . the WHOLE . . . world." Ok, I guess from now on, I'll preview my comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, that should be " . . . watch what I'm saying about YOU."

    Yeah. Preview good. Typos bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "What was the deleted comment? Was someone rude? Do I have to kill again?"

    > Should we be scared by Shrike???

    ReplyDelete
  10. > Should we be scared by Shrike???

    Only if you plan to be mean to me.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?