Sunday, April 15, 2007

Grocery, Again

I'm sure the reviewers will have a field day with posts like this when they stop by, but for the benefit of all both of you who are waiting with bated breath to hear about my latest shopping - and saving - adventure, here it is!

Shrike came along for the ride today, so I got to introduce her to the wonder that is Aldi.

She said afterward that, given that she's eating food purchased there, she kind of wished that she'd not seen it, but she'll try to forget it before the next meal.

(Funny, the cheesy-chicken-mac featuring both macaroni and cream o'chicken soup from Aldi didn't seem to bother her a bit, just a couple of hours later.)

Anyway, on to the savings . . . .

No super-duper double-whammies today, but we're restocked for under $125.

Aldi
Price to compare: $30.00 (based on prices at other stores for several items)
Paid: $21.74

Weis
Original Price: $105.00
Weis Club Savings: $4.87
Coupon Savings: $9.40
Paid: $90.73

Food Lion
Original Price: $11.01
Coupon Savings: $0.55
Paid: $10.46

Total for the Day: $122.93
Total Savings: $23.08 = 19.8%


Not as great as previous weeks, but we were pretty well-stocked on most things, so I didn't do a lot of buying because things were on sale. I mostly just got things that we need now - most of which was on sale, but not all.

The good news, though, is that I looked at a Quicken report, showing our grocery spending year-to-date, broken down in half-months, and April 1 - 15 is the lowest yet!

6 comments:

  1. Ummm, at least it isn't Friday night this time!

    Good deals! I do think you are a total nerd for keeping track of it on Quicken. That's what makes it adorable!

    When do you start the new job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got all the money stuff in Quicken (down to an "account" for cash - to avoid that tendency to piss it away, because once it's deducted from the check register, it's "spent")

    Groceries are one of the categories that I'm keeping a very close eye on.

    I just read your comment to Shrike and said "Hey - I'm adorable!"

    She said, "I could have told you that!"

    How sweet is she? :-)

    The new job starts next Monday, Apri 23, so I've got one more week of "vacation."

    I'd better make the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what I'm going to say- not fresh, not local, too processed. Have you read Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma? It's an eye opener

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and BTW- I spend a lot less on local food than I did when we ate from the grocery store....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Willa - Yeah, I read what you say on your blog and I certainly understand where you're coming from, but I guess it's just not something about which we're really at the point of making changes, if that makes sense.

    At this point, to be honest, my feelings on the whole local eating thing tends to be "Hmm, if I were a better person, I might try to do that. Too bad I'm not."

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems that we already have "The Omnivore's Dilemma" on our wish list for Audoio To Go (check back on Thurs for 12 others from the list), so I guess we'll be reading/hearing it before too long.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?