Friday, March 2, 2007

Would You Read It On a Fox?

Happy Birthday, you crazy cat!

In celebration of the Cat in the Hat’s 50th Birthday, Random House Children’s Books and Dr. Seuss Enterprises are partnering with First Book to launch a national literacy initiative called Project 236. (So called, because Dr. Seuss wrote The Cat in the Hat using only 236 words!)
In support of this project, the bloggers at Blogging Baby are writing today about their favorite books from their childhoods, so I thought I'd do the same.

I was a voracious reader as a kid, so I could list any number of books that I loved, but one in particular stands out from the read-aloud days: Little Brown Bear by Elizabeth Upham.

There's evidently a whole series of Little Brown Bear books, but the one that we had was a collection of several stories about Little Brown Bear and his buddies.

I'm not sure what it was about this book that made it stick in my mind, but it's probably the only book from that era that I remember so vividly.

A few years ago, I tried Googling for it without much luck, but just last week, I gave it another shot. I didn't remember the full title of the book, or the author's name, just that it was about Little Brown Bear, and a few details from some of the stories.

After wading through several similarly titled, but not nearly as cool, books, I found it!

There was the cover that I remember, and the illustration of the badger (badger? some kind of critter) who sold pots and pans and other such junk from a wagon. I'd recognize him anywhere!

Better yet, what I found was a 1942 (first?) edition copy for sale, for $15.15, including shipping.

(Note - the site I'm linking to above is selling the same edition for $50.)

So, you know Little Brown Bear is now on his way to my house!

Scans of Mr. Badger (if, indeed that is his name) and other friends will be posted, as soon as he arrives!

So, what was your favorite book as a kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?