Monday, January 6, 2014

Finally Home

We came home from Texas today, and I suppose our day was much better than the trip down, if only for the lack of vomit, but we this one had its adventures, too.

 When I was planning our itinerary, I was originally hoping to come back on yesterday, so Peeper could go to school today, but I couldn't find any flights that would get us back to Baltimore before evening, which would put us home close to midnight, so I went with a flight that left at 6:55 am, arriving in Baltimore at 1:30 pm.

 Great, right?

 The airport is only about fifteen minutes from my parents' house, and it's tiny, so it doesn't take but a few minutes to check in, drop the bags, go through security and get to the gate, so we aimed to leave the house around six, and came pretty close to it.

When we arrived, we got in line - well, we started a line, no one else was there yet - and waited. And waited. And waited. At 6:30, a TSA agent came over and told us that, under Federal law, you can't check in less than thirty minutes before a flight, so we weren't getting on this plane.

I realize (now) that we were cutting it close, but I know that I'd been there for more than five minutes, and one of the people behind me in line said it was 6:22 or so when they walked in, but the ticket agent had already shut down the desk at that point, so we were out of luck.

After a bit of polite (sort of) ranting, and a lot of tears from Peeper, we got ourselves booked for an 11:30ish flight to Dallas, and on standby for a flight from there to Baltimore, called Anoymama and had her come back to pick us up.

Once we got back to the airport and actually got on the plane, things were fairly uneventful the rest of the way to Baltimore, but Peeper had been up since about 5 am, so she was pretty pooped. She conked out about the time we took off in Dallas, and slept almost the entire flight.

Shrike was there to meet us at the airport, and of course, we stopped at Pizza Hut on the way home.

We usually go from there to Baskin Robbins, but it was getting really cold, so I suggested that we just get a dessert at Pizza Hut instead, but she was having no parts of that, so off we went. She had ice cream, and Shrike and I had hot chocolate. With ice cream in it, because we are temperature wimps.

While I was at the counter ordering the scoop of ice cream, a fellow who'd been buying donuts left, then a few moments later, came back in and bellowed, "How's that socialism workin' out for ya?"

I'm assuming he saw my bumper stickers.

"Great!" I said, "I've got a much better deal on my health insurance now!"

He went out, came right back in and said, "You shouldn't be surprised if somebody says something. You're advertising it!"

I said, "Yes, I am advertising, I'm very proud of that."

I should've said, "But I'm still surprised when some asshole suddenly starts yelling at me in public in front if my child."

Then there was something about Greece. I dunno.

We tried to have our dessert in peace, but as you can imagine, I was pissed off and kept ranting about it, while Shrike kept trying to settle me down. She said I should just ignore, but I said (and still maintain) that you should never "just ignore" a bully, because that is tacit permission to continue. I was wishing that I'd called him on his behavior, rather than just arguing back with him.

Then he came back again. This time he started with something along this lines of "This isn't anything personal to you two, God bless you, this is a political and economical. . . " some shit like that.

This time I did tell him something along the lines of, "Stop, Your behavior is absolutely unacceptable, you don't just yell at strangers, just stop."

When he kept going, the kid behind the counter told him to leave. That part was cool.

He finally left, but of course, I was all riled up again, so you know Shrike was thrilled about that.

I will say, though, that I suppose I was pleasantly surprised at the "nothing personal; God bless you" part. I guess it says something for how far we've come as a society, especially recently, that even the raving Tea Party lunatic is okay with gay folks now.

The rest of the drive home was uneventful, and we finally got in close to midnight.

Oh, and the school thing? They went back on Thursday, were off Friday for snow, today for ice and tomorrow for expected subzero temperatures. So there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?