Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Oatmeal Strawberry Bread

After we got home from our strawberry picking adventures, one of the other moms posted on Facebook that she had strawberry bread in the oven. That sounded so yummy that I had to find a recipe and make some myself. She said she was using one from AllRecipes.com, so I tried there and found this recipe for Oatmeal Strawberry Bread, which I then modified.


Changes that I made:

  1. Halved the recipe, to make only one loaf. This shouldn't be significant, but when you have  AllRecipes.com change the amount for you, it only changes the ingredient list at the top, not the text instructions.

    The original recipe calls for 3 cups rolled oats, and step one says to put in 1 1/2 cups. (You're saving the rest to sprinkle on top.) So I put in all 1 1/2 cups that the whole recipe now calls for, even though everything else was cut in half. I didn't realize it til the end, when it said "Sprinkle the rest of the oats. . . ."
  2. Replaced half the sugar with stevia (I recently switched from Splenda to Stevia (an all natural, zero calorie sweetener) mostly based on the "artificial sweeteners will make you fat and kill you" stuff in "Hungry for Change." Worth a try.)
  3.  Replaced all the oil with pureed strawberries (per a comment on the website)
  4.  Realized today, they may have meant 10 oz strawberries by weight, and I did it by volume.
  5.  Not really a problem, though, because first I decided to puree them instead of just sliced, so Peeper and I wouldn't have seed to deal with, and then I ended up not adding all of the puree, because it was seeming pretty thin. Good thing I had those extra oats in there, huh?
  6. I didn't do this, because I didn't have any, but several commenters recommended replacing half the white flour with whole wheat.
  7. I also didn't have to bake it as long as the recipe called for. They said 50 - 60 minutes at 350' and I did about 40 or 45 minutes at what my oven says is 325, but is likely more like 350, because since I started backing down the temp 25' I've stopped burning things at half the recommended time
 It came out very heavy, like banana bread, and kind of chewy (the extra oats?) but delicious.

Oh look.  AllRecipes.com lets you toggle between US and Metric units. It says to use 285 g strawberries for the halved recipe, which is 10 oz, so I guess I was supposed to do them by weight, not volume. Whoops. Doesn't really matter, I guess, since I didn't use all of them anyway.





No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?