Monday, September 19, 2011

Seriously? Again?!?

This illness has played hell with Peeper's sleep "schedule" over the past couple of weeks. First, when she was feeling really lousy, she went back to napping in the afternoon. It kept her up a bit later, but of course, she needed the sleep, and it wasn't like we were getting up and going in the mornings anyway, so we went with it.

Then, her naps moved later and a few days we had naps around five or six in the evening, and she was up til around midnight or a bit later.

And then, yikes. For four freaking nights in a row, she "napped" at, let's see, 9:30 - 9:45, 8 - 10, 8 - 11 and 10 - midnight. Needless to say, she was then up forever. Friday, we went back to sleep at six o'clock Saturday morning.

By that point, she was feeling pretty good, just a lingering cough, and Shrike and I were doing fairly well, just still coughing and ears still congested, so we figured we were going to have to just get her up in the mornings, and keep her up in the evenings, and get it straightened out over the next few days.

Then, Saturday, Peeper and I both fell asleep at 9:30 pm and she slept. All. Night.

Do I hear angels singing?

Wait, no, that's not angels, it's not, it's . . . snot.

What? No! I must be imagining that.

Then the sneezing. And the nose running. And the sounds of the congested nose.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Yesterday, she and I napped a little while in the afternoon, then I dozed on the couch a couple of times, and then fell asleep on the couch again around 8:30. She came and asked for goody, and crawled up beside me, and the next thing I knew, Shrike was tapping me and pointing out that she was asleep. At 9 pm.

So, of to bed with Peeper and Shrike, and I got  up, and she slept for about thirty minutes.

I gave up and got up with her around ten, and she played happily (stopping often for nose wipes) until she decided to go to bed around 1:30.a.m. That didn't last long, so Shrike got up with her and I slept untl about 3:45. I got up and sent Shrike to bed, and she nursed down in my lap not long after.

We all woke around 8 am, and she was screeeaaaaming, asking to nurse, taking one suck and pushing me away, over and over. She claimed her ears didn't hurt (still does) but she wasn't very rational at the time. I cleaned her nose and she finally settled down.

That's when we called and rescheduled her already rescheduled dentist appointment.

We all went back to sleep until about 2 pm, and felt much better when we got up.

She's not acting like she feels all that bad, but she sounds awful, and I'm kind of dreading trying to sleep.

Mostly, I'm dreading the idea of starting over with this illness, when we've just almost gotten well.

Oh, and did I mention that Peeper and I are supposed to fly to Texas in a week.

We're taking her to the doctor tomorrow, maybe she'll have some answers or some magic medicine. I suspect she'll say it's viral and we wasted our money on the trip to urgent care and antibiotics, but maybe she'll just say they were the wrong antibiotics. A mama can hope, right?

In the meantime, today's mail brought a Sonic coupon for a 99-cent sundae, so we had some medicinal ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?