Sunday, May 15, 2011

Tot School: Where We've Been, And What We've Learned

Tot School
~ Peeper is 30.5 months old ~

A Note To My Regular Readers: I may be repeating some photos or stories that I've already published, but I want to put all our learning activities in the one post that's part of the Tot School link-up.

Tot Schoolers: Welcome! If you enjoy this post, please feel free to stay for a while. I'll give you a fair warning that much of my blog is PG-13, but my Tot School link-up posts will always be G-Rated.



It seems that we got a bit sidetracked by our trip to Texas and then our IVF cycle (unsuccessful, but we have three frozen embryos and have a frozen transfer scheduled for next month), but I suppose we did learned a few things in our time off from "formal" Tot Schooling.

The day before we left for Texas, we took Peeper to see a local production of The Wizard of Oz, and she fell in love. We've even bought her the DVD, which is a big deal for us, as we're not so into the TV for her. Okay, but we won't talk about videos on the Sesame Street website, and YouTube.



The "Wicky Witch" is, by far, her favorite character, and she loves to dress up as her. I think we may have our Halloween costume chosen already.



Right before our trip, the 1+1+1=1 blog released the first set of Tot School printables (A-E) so I printed them out, and even cut out and laminated all the cards, and put them all in a folder to take with us. We didn't spend much time with them while we were there, but the vocabulary development cards were a big hit on the airplane.

Peeper especially liked the bird cards that go along with D is for Duck and the animal cards that go with C is for Cat.

We didn't do much with the "letter pages" on the plane, because I didn't have anything for her to color with (I didn't want her to color the airplane!) but after we got home, she very much enjoyed doing those, as well and F-I when they were available.

In fact, it was the release of J - the next letter in our Letter of the Week progression that finally prompted me to get it together and start back up with it.
But, I digress. More on that in future LOTW posts.

As I was saying, we went to Texas. . . .

In Texas, Peeper went to the fair for the first time, and got to pet lots of animals. I didn't actually take any photos of that, because she was on my back the whole time, but supposedly, my sister got several.

(Hey, LadyKay - where are the photos of Peeper petting the animals?!)


Then she visited her cousins . . .


. . . took photos in the bluebonnets . . .


. . . and went to a children's museum.


By the time we got home, Spring had more or less sprung, and she's spent a lot of time picking flowers, watching ants and splashing in mud puddles - in all kinds of weather, and in all kinds of attire. She's really loving being outside, and would stay all day if we'd let her.












In April, we took her to the National Zoo for the first time, which we all really enjoyed. Of course, there was too much walking, and too much of it was uphill, but the weather was perfect and, of course, she loved seeing the animals.




She hadn't painted in quite a while, but when she suddenly remembered that it existed, she went right back to her old techniques.




In April, we went with the MOMS Club to tour a potato chip factory. I don't know how much Peeper got out of it, but I found it fascinating. And they were very generous with the free samples.



Of course, there was Easter, which she thoroughly enjoyed.




She's a liner-upper.


And a stacker-upper.


And a goofball.


Peeper visited Shrike at work for Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day, where she probably did not actually learn anything about how newspapers are made, but we got to show her off to Mommy's coworkers.


Last week, Peeper helped us to put together a patio table, a bench and a raised-bed planter for our square foot garden. She's a regular little handy-gal!





So, while we've not been doing our Letter of the Week "curriculum" (such as it is) or much else in the way of structured learning, Peeper's certain had lots of learning experiences over the past several weeks. Let's say we've been "unschooling" and pat ourselves on the back.

1 comment:

  1. You are way better moms than me. I'd never let her paint again. LOL Lucky girl!!!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?