Sunday, February 13, 2011

Letter of the Week: C

Tot School
~ Peeper is 27 1/2 months old ~

We really didn't manage to do a whole lot of organized learning activities this week, but we talked a lot about "c-words" and since "C Is For Cookie" is one of Peeper's favorite songs these days, we sang that a lot.

Her version goes something like this:

C - cookie Meeee
cookie cookie cookie cookie Ceeeeee!

With the occassional "Moon - Eat dat!" thrown in for good measure.

("The moon sometimes looks like a C, but you can't eat that.")

Sunday
We did a couple of quick art projects this evening. The first was yet another No Time for Flashcards inspired activity: C is for Caterpillar.

(Or, as Peeper say "Papapituh!")

Peeper loves the book "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and in another, less busy week, I might have done a lapbook for it, or a "Five In a Row" style unit study, but yeah, that just wasn't happening this week.

I've seen some really great activities to go with that book, but most of them are a little beyond Peeper's abilities and interest level right now, so I've got in the back of my mind that we'll do something with it in a year or so.

(Oh maaaan! While looking for the link to the project that we actually did, I found this handprint caterpillar. Peeper loves paint. Peeper loves tracing her body parts and making handprints. Peeper loves caterpillars. We may have to do this some time even if it's not C week!)

So, anyway. C is for Caterpillar.


Hmmm, I should really check the websites again right before I do these projects, because I just realized that we totally forgot his anntennae! Oh well. Sorry little caterpillar.

I cut out the letter C and put glue dots on it for Peeper to stick on the eyes and "puffies." About three puffies from the end, I ran out of glue dots!

Oh well, I thought. Glue dots are rather a luxury anyway. I'll just put dots of glue, that was good enough for us in the olden days.

So, I put three dots of glue, which Peeper promptly smeared all over the paper. And the licked off of her fingers.

The next day, we bought glue dots.

After she finished the caterpillar, so wanted to color, so I made a "C is for Color" paper for her to decorate.

 


On Monday and Tuesday, we didn't really do anything specifically C-related or any planned educational activities.

Wednesday
Today we baked and decorated cookies for the MOMS Club Valentine's party. Well, we baked cookies for that, and then we baked and decorated cookies for funsies.

Here's Peeper unrwapping what turned out to be twice as much butter as the recipe called for. Whoops.


And of course, licking the beaters!


And decorating the cookies.


Thursday
I didn't get any photos, but today we finished decorating our cards for the Valentine's party. Peeper just stuck a bunch of stickers on heart-shaped doilies, and then I wrote "Love, Peeper" on the back and glue-dotted Hershey's Kisses on them. Card starts with C, so that counts, right?

Friday
Friday was the Valentine's party, where the kids decorated their card "mail boxes" and then decorated and ate cookies, and exchanged cards. We had lots of cards and candy to count when we got home.


Saturday
This afternoon, we finally got around to the one other activity that I'd actually planned, "c is for carrot" also from (say it all together now, kids) No Time for Flashcards.

She'd already had a bath, so I wasn't up for any painting, so I just cut the "c" carrot out of paper and she helped glue it down and colored on it.



I'm going to try to find and actually do more activities next week, not necessarily just things specifically related to letter D.

Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?