Saturday, November 13, 2010

Talk Talk Talk

It's a good thing that I let myself off the hook for writing down every damn word Peeper says, as of her birthday, because there's no way I'd be keeping up now.

I had "officially" recorded 180 spoken words, as of then, and five days later told the doctor that I thought she probably had "about 200" (including new ones since I stopped tracking them, plus assuming I'd missed a few).

It's been almost two weeks since then, and I wouldn't even venture a guess as to where she is now.

250?

Could it be 300???

(Oh wait, I guess I just did, huh? That could be soooo wrong though. I am a very bad estimater.)

I keep telling myself that I'm going to pick a day and not even attempt to write down what they are, but just try to keep a running tally of how many words she uses that she didn't have as of when I stopped writing them down.

Or maybe just an hour.

(I need one of those little hand-held clicky counter thingies.)

And, as predicted, within a week of telling the doctor that she was not using any two-word phrases, she started doing that.

Okay, maybe she isn't exactly "doing that" yet, but she "has done that," at least three times:
  1. Mama wawa - Mama's water
  2. (Something I can't remember. Shit. You see why I wrote these things down?)
  3. Moaw (Peeper) - Give more to Peeper.
As you can hear in the video from yesterday, she often "goes on and on" with one single word after the other, or holds back-and-forth conversations, one word at a time, but those are separate thoughts. These are the only two-words-to-express-a-single-thought that we've heard so far, but I'm sure that she'll be using them more and more and will be stringing together whole sentences before long.

2 comments:

  1. Wait till next year.(or even sooner.) She'll be a non-stop chatterbox. It's so fun when they start asking questions, like Why? and you have to think of answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered! "Cow moo." That was "sentence" #2.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?