Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Well, That Was Weird

Peeper had a long, lateish (3 - 6 pm) nap this "afternoon," so I was expecting a late bedtime. She dozed off around - hmm, 11ish? - while I was talking on the phone with Frappa, but woke up while transferring to bed, and was up a while longer.

While I was waiting for her to be ready to go to bed for realsies, I put away some of her clothes that were piling up in laundry baskets - which took a while, because they included a bunch of new hand-me-downs that didn't yet have homes - and as I was finishing that, she was kind of whining around, so I figured she was getting sleepy.

When I was done, I brought her in here to nurse, and she made quite clear that that was not what she had in mind.

So, I put her down, and she toddled off to her room.

When I got there, she had a stuffed bear in each hand, and was dragging them over to the rocker.

Now, this rocker is literally the only piece of furniture in her room that we paid more than a couple of bucks for, and of course, we never use it.

(Guess what? The computer chair also rocks. And it has a computer in front of it.)

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've rocked or nursed her in it.

But, she wanted in it tonight, so I sat down, and arranged Peeper and two bears on my lap, and she nursed for a while.

Then she stopped, and looked and me and grinned for a while, not saying a whole lot, just sort of playing with her bears.

Then nursed some more, and stopped for a while, and nursed some more, and stopped and put my breast away (well, needs some help, but she tries), and then the weird part. . . .

She lay her head down on my chest, cuddled up, closed her eyes and went to sleep.

Without a boob in her mouth.

I don't think she's ever done that before.

I know this probably sounds weird, because she spends so much time in some sort of physical contact with me - I'm holding or wearing or carrying or nursing her - but she rarely just cuddles, without nursing, and I'm always like "awwww" when she does.

Don't get me wrong, I love all that other stuff, and nursing cuddles are especially cuddly, but sometimes it is nice to feel like she just wants me for me, and not for the boob. 

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like the teeniest, tiniest little beginnings of baby-led weaning. I'm sure she'll still nurse for a good while yet, but eventually she'll stop, when she's ready, which will be the perfect time for her since she gets to decide when.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?