Thursday, November 5, 2009

"Ugly Muffins"

I cooked again yesterday - how 'bout that?!

I got this recipe from a friend's cooking blog, and modified it a bit, using what I had on hand, leaving out the cheese (we're backing off a bit on the direct dairy for Peeper) and baking them in mini-muffin tins, instead of the full-sized ones.

Below is the recipe as my friend posted it, with my comments in italics.

Ugly Muffins
Makes 12
I made 18 mini-muffins using 4 eggs

8 eggs - beaten (I often use just the egg whites)
1/4 cup of heavy cream I used a splash of skim milk
1/2 cup of ham - diced I used deli-sliced turkey lunch meat
1/2 cup of cheddar cheese - shredded I left this out
small red pepper - diced I used both red and green - very festive
small red onion - diced I used yellow onion
Salt and pepper to taste I left this out

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin pan by coating with cooking spray.
  2. Beat eggs with cream.
  3. Stir in other ingredients.
  4. Divide evenly between muffin cups. (Each muffin cup should fill to almost the edge.)
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the centers set. Let cool on rack for at least 5 minutes. I think I cooked mine for 10 - 15 minute at about 350 degrees.
I froze them on a tray (so they didn't stick to each other), then put then in a ziplock bag. I can thaw one in the microwave in about 10 - 15 seconds, and it makes a nice little bite-sized portion.
Peeper's been a bit off her "chewin' food" lately, but she seems to like them. I suspect she'll eat two or three once she's back in the mood for solids.

4 comments:

  1. Are they "just egg" or do they have corn meal or something in them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just egg and veggies/meat/cheese, baked in a muffin tin.

    Essentially scrambled eggs, but easily freezable and much more finger-feeding friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are a great idea. I'm going to put that in my baby file!

    I don't know if you've ever microwaved scrambled eggs but it's so easy (2 eggs = 1 min 20 sec). I lived on this after having the monkey and my mom used to make this for me in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?