Monday, November 10, 2008

Peeper's PeePee Progress

Peeper weighed 4 lb 15.5 oz at her appointment today.

When we put her on the scale, she was rolling around a bunch and the display was going back and forth between 4 lb 15.5 oz / 5 lb 0 oz / 5 lb 0.5 oz.

I was cheering for something starting with a 5, but it settled on a half-ounce short.

Dr L was very pleased with that, though. That's 1 oz/day, which is what they want to see.

The catheterization for the urine sample didn't go as well, in fact Dr L gave up on it, because she realized that, as tiny as the infant catheter is, Peep's little urethra is tinier.

They gave us another pee bag, which seemed to have a more secure attachment, and YAHOO! we FINALLY got a specimen a couple of hours later (after going to the mall to do some bra shopping).

We dropped it off at the lab, and hope that it will be enough for them to do what they need to do.

If it's not, we have another couple of bags and jars so we can get another sample.

I think Dr L is going to be making a call to someone at the Children's Hospital, though, because she was pretty ticked that they'd sent us home with out getting the pee on Friday.

She said that they should've just cathed her there. And they would've been able to do it, because they would have a preemie size on hand, even if they had to go get it from the NICU.

I was just glad that she gave up on trying when she saw that the catheter was not going in., At first, she seemed confused about why it wouldn't go, and the nurse even asked if there was some sort of blockage.

(Shrike said later that she was thinking, "oh great, NOW what's wrong with her?!?")

But when we pointed out that she pees plenty, she decided that it's just a matter of her being so tiny.

I mean, an adult's urethra is pretty small, how tiny must hers be?

(No wonder the pee comes out at such high pressure and does the fountain thing :-) )

Anyway, like I said, I'm glad she just decided to give up, rather than continuing to try.

Peeper actually took it pretty well; she really wasn't complaining any more than she does for a diaper change.

I think I was a lot more upset by it all than she was, sitting off to the side, holding Shrike's hand and crying the whole time.

I'm sure *that* didn't help the doctor any but, hey, give me a break. I'm hormonal.

So, we're hoping that we will still hear something back on the blood test Wednesday or Thursday, even thought they won't have the urine test back for a while.

That will at least give us some information.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been by in a long time, and I am so shocked to see that your little Peeper is here! Where did the time go? Congrats! I am so happy for the three of you!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?