Tuesday, August 26, 2008

In Other News

The less-great news we got today is that I didn't do so hot on my one-hour glucose tolerance test.

When I got home last night, there was a phone message from my OB's office saying, "We need to talk about your lab results."

I knew that wasn't a good sign. I called back this morning, and left a message asking them to call on my cell, which they did, just as we were going through security at the courthouse!

It seems that they wanted to see a glucose level "under 140" and mine was 147.

Close, but not good enough, evidently.

Normally, they'd do a three-hour glucose tolerance test at this point, and I'd have a second chance to prove myself, but that test is contraindicated for gastric bypass patients, so they're just skipping right to having me behave as though I failed it too, and treating me as if I do have gestational diabetes.

They are faxing over orders to the diabetes counselor / dietician, who will then contact me to set up an appointment to discuss diet, glucose monitoring, etc.

Basically, they are going to make me eat the way I'm supposed to be eating anyway.

The bastards.

(I'm not sure if they are actually diagnosing me with gestational diabetes, or might make an actual diagnosis later, depending on what we see with the glucose monitoring, or just having me do this without an actual diagnosis. I'll have to ask about that.)

So, of course, when we finished up in court, we hit the Chinese buffet for lunch, where I had General Tso's chicken, a sugar-dumpling and ice cream. While I can.

I'm obviously not too thrilled about this development, but Shrike really put it in perspective for me when she said that, "You know, this is nothing compared to the things we were worried about a couple of months ago."

Very true.

We're no longer wondering whether our kid will be able to walk, so skipping the candy bars for the next three months or so is really not such a big deal, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?