Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Fourth of July!

There is a giant, "mile long" yardsale that's held in Shrike'sWorkTown every year on July 4.

Well, you know we couldn't resist that!

So, we donned the most patriotical outfits that we own (Me: RedCounty Democrats t-shirt, and Mama for Obama button; Shrike: T-shirt honoring WWII WASPs), packed some drinks and snacks, stopped at an ATM machine, and headed down there mid-morning.

We tried to be pickier about tiny, pink things - especially the teeny-tiny things, as Peeper already probably has more 0 - 3 month onsies than she can possibly wear before she outgrows them, but I did buy a few really cheap (50-cent, 10-cent) outfits for her at one place (for a total of $1.50).

We also got a bag of maternity clothes for me (three pairs of work-appropriate pants, one pair jeans, several work-appropriate shirts and a couple of casual shirts), plus a few tiny, long-sleeved, plain white onsies for Peeper (she will be born in winter, you know) at another place for a little under $60.

That's way more than I like to hand over at one time at a yard sale (or anywhere else, for that matter) but, as Shrike pointed out, "You have to have them, and it's not like spending $60 on the kid. You can't register for maternity pants, you know."

Touche', my love.

I also got a few decorative things - a set of Christmasy (or were they snowmen?) nesting bowls for $1.50, and two watermelon-themed serving baskets, along with a ceramic watermelon-cut-into-a-basket-shape bowl, all for $2.50.

We also found Peeper a sweet little pair of tiny, pink shoes for $0.25.

And Shrike bought a skateboard (for herself) for $0.50.

She says, "This is what happens when you prohibit your kids from doing things when they are young. They wait until they are too old and fragile and do them anyway."

I've suggested that she invest in a helmet and wristguards, at the very least, before she try it out.

Oh, but that's not all the stuff we've gotten lately . . . .

Yesterday evening, I stopped by LiPA's house to pick up a ton of stuff that she pulled out of her basement and attic for us!

All her cloth diapers and covers (small/medium - good through around 25 lbs), which she sold to us for $50, several, hooded towels, a potty chair and seat (more on that later), a bassinet, and a ton of books and toys.

She was telling me that her youngest, J, has been rather attached to the potty seat, even long after she was done using it, but that when she saw it sitting out, she said (of her own accord), "We should give that to Shrike and Whozat for their baby."

"Hey, that's a great idea!"

While I was there, J went to the bathroom, and came back carrying one of those seats that you put on top of the big potty, and told me, "This is for your baby. It's so she doesn't fall in the potty."

"Well, thank you! Was that yours, but you're big now and don't need it anymore."

"Yes. And I had diarrhea on this part - but my mommy cleaned it up."

A bit more information than I needed, but on the other hand, I was already buying the diapers that she wore for the first nine months or so of her life, so I supposed the concept of "J pooped on it" wasn't really a deal-breaker in this situation.

But, back to today - after the yardsale, we got some lunch, then went to over to a party that some friends were having. We hung out there til around 3 or so, then headed home.

Then, of course, it was nap time.

Now it's about 8 pm, and it's drizzling outside and we're trying to figure out how to get word on whether the big fireworks display is a go or not.

I think we'll drive over there in a few minutes and just see for ourselves.

5 comments:

  1. All that sounds like wonderful fun. I love shopping for baby stuff. The Christmas that I was pregnant with Lady Kay we were in school and incredibly poor, so I got mostly baby stuff for Christmas and loved it. The year I was pregnant with you I expected the same for my presents from folks and got none. I was extremely disappointed. I didn't tell my mama, but she figured it out and said that since Anonydaddy was working, I could buy my own, so she got me a gift "for yourself". Baby stuff WAS for me!
    BTW, you need to check out single parenting books if Shrike is taking up skateboarding. One can kill oneself at 14. Don't even think about what it can do to one "over 30". When one is supposed to have developed a sense of self preservation! Good luck!
    They make wonderfully cute baby things, like oneseys (how do you spell that. I know; it is in the blog, but if I go back to get it, I will lose this) in Santa or other Christmasy themes. Peeper will be born at Thanksgiving. Do they make any turkey outfits? Or pumpkin? A little pumpkin onesey with a knit cap with a green stem would work. With jack-o-lantern patches on the front. If I could sew or knit or anything else, I would make one, but, as you know, I have zero talent when it comes to producing things. Too bad. It would sell, though. Anyhow, I wish I could be there to play with all the cute stuff. And tell Shrike to forget the skateboard. Remember when your bro would say "why won't you let me have a motorcycle?" and your father would answer "because we love you". Tell Shrike "because we love her!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee! I love a good poop story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vee - Thank you. Shrike tried to stop me from telling the "...but my mommy cleaned it up" part of the story to some people yesterday, but that's the best part!

    I hope LiPA doesn't mind :-)

    I guess we and you will both have plenty of our own poop stories soon enough, and won't have to tell other people's, huh? :-)


    Anonymama - We sure are enjoying buying stuff for Peeper, but the rule we've made for ourselves is that we won't buy anything full-price ourselves. It has to be yardsale or on sale or outlet or used or something like that.

    So, she's all set for onsies to lie around and poop in, or to layer under other things, for warmth, being a winter-baby.

    (Which is very weired for both of us. Babies are supposed to be born in spring. Like we were.)

    We figure that between family (a hint? Noooo, of course not) and shower(s) and what-not, we'll get plenty of new stuff to wear when she goes out in public.

    And how much do you really go out in public in the first few weeks, anyway?

    I am trying to figure out how many Christmasy outfits she can get away with wearing in her first month, though.

    Of course, visiting down there for "Christmas" at New Years will stretch the season to about five or six weeks for her!

    I would love to find something appropriate for Thanksgiving, if she's here by then.

    Otherwise, I'll need to find something appropriate for myself.

    (Other than the "turkey's done" belly-button "timer" that I'll probably have going by then!)

    Maybe a shirt with a picture of an oven, with a little turkey in it - on my tummy?

    I've seen the baby jack-o-latern onesies that you're describing, but I hope she's not here in time to wear one of those!

    I am looking for good ideas for my Halloween costume, though.

    I'd prefer to be more creative than going the old "Jack-o-lantern belly sweatshirt" route.

    And, it would be good if it were something that Shrike could coordinate with somehow.

    Suggestions are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, thanks, Anonymamma. I love you all too. Now that I own the skateboard, I will never use it. I have many toys that once I got them I never touch them again. Also, I have quite a list of stuff to do before little girl gets here and after she gets here I won't have time to do anything. What I hate most of all is how fast the grass grows with the showers we have been getting. Mowing it is not that bad (I like mindless chores so my brain can go somewhere else while I am doing it) butit is taking me away from more important things like getting little Miss' room ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Overheard while reading each other's comments:

    Shrike: You spelled "weird" wrong again.

    Whozat: What?!? I checked it. I before E except after C . . ..

    Shrike: You got that part right.

    Whozat: Or when sounding as A, as in waaayrd....

    (Re-reading comment: "...very weired...")

    Whozat: Oh.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?