Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Nesting?

Yeah, I know it's a little bit early for that, and I'm certainly not having any urges - but Shrike seems to be.

Actually, she's on vacation this week and, while my idea of a vacation would be to lie around and do absolutely nothing, she's got this crazy idea that she wants to accomplish things.

What the fuck?

And then I feel guilty, and I have to accomplish things, too.

So far, we've completely cleared out the closet that connects the office and what will be Peeper's room, and put a couple of new decor-type things for Peeper in it.

We've either stored or bagged up to give away a bunch of clothes that don't currently fit or that we don't like (and, in my case, that I can't even consider getting back into until after Peeper comes - and a few shirts that I probably won't see again until s/he's weaned).

Most of the closet stuff went down in the basement, which was good enough for me (out of sight, out of mind) but not for Shrike.

So, this evening, she kept me company while I went through that stuff and a bunch more that was already down there, and sorted it into things to throw away (a ton of crap), things to store in the basement forever (2 crates), things to take elsewhere (mostly back to Democratic Headquarters - 2 crates) and things the I actually need to take back upstairs and have handy.

The last category, of very important things that I can't live without?

One clipboard with a few papers on it, an empty legal pad, and an extra-large Dean for America t-shirt which I'll wear to sleep in.

Then, God-help-us, I tackled my desk.

I didn't dare get into the hutch, but I did get the surface mostly cleared off, and threw away a bunch more stuff, and found a few more things to send to the basement.

I don't know what she's got in mind for the rest of the week, but so far, her vacation is wearing me out!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, honey. I think your part is done. Unless you would like to shovel compost? I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of nesting ... Today's dead item on the dog walk was a wing. A wing that was about two of my feet. I just measured my shoe and it is about 11 inches long, so the bird wing was about 22 inches long. I know there are hawks out here (thus all the other dead animals we find) and I did not have my camera with me to take an identifying photo. It was in fairly good shape but i did not want to examine it to closely for fear of what I would find. Now, how does a bird of prey that big lose it's wing (and life)? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Thankfully, I never had it that bad. If you start shredding newspapers in the corner, I hope your friends stage an intervention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was about 8 months pregnant I went to nesting mode and, among a lot of other cleaning chores, I decided that I had to get rid of built up grease in the stove. I made Daddy drag it out into the back yard where I cleaned with soap and water, then rinsed it with the hose. The pilot light never worked again and the burners were a little bubbly for a few weeks. I really don't recommend the procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol - I've never heard that stove story before. That is really funny!

    Sounds like a good excuse to not cook for a while.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?