Sunday, April 6, 2008

Easter?

Because of multiple crazy work schedules, our family Easter party didn't happen until today.

I told Shrike that, since the party was delayed, and since I'm so tired these days, and have so many other things going on, that I would tone things down a bit, and not go so all-out with the cooking and decorating.

Um, yeah. Not so much.

What we did manage to "tone down" was the preparing - we didn't even start on that til last night.

Well, we did buy some of the groceries last weekend, then I bought the last-minute stuff on Friday.

Yesterday was a busy day, and when we got home around 4 pm, we took a nap. Til about 7.

Then we ate some dinner and started cooking and cleaning.

We worked up til bedtime, then got up and worked some more.

As usual, I cooked and Shrike cleaned. At one point, she was working on my bathroom and I said, "what can I do to help?"

She said, "Go do woman-stuff."

So, back to the kitchen with me (barefoot and pregnant).

What was on the menu?
  • Make-your-own Sandwiches
    • Meat / Cheese - us
    • Bagels - us
    • Rolls - Shrike's ex-brother-in-law
    • Condiments - Shrike's parents

  • Lazy Lasagna (cooked earlier in the week)
  • Anonymama's Cheese Ball
  • Strawberries
  • Broccoli
  • Crab Dip (Shrike's sister)
  • Deviled Eggs (Shrike's grandma)
  • Crackers, Chips, Peanuts, Olives, Pickles
  • Sugar Cookies
  • Girl Scout Cookies
  • Donuts (leftover from an event yesterday)
  • Pies / Cakes (other people)
I think that's all. :-)


And, who was here? Us, Shrike's parents, grandparents, sister and her partner and ex-husband and their two kids, Shrike's mom's cousin and his wife, and Shrike's cousin and her parnter and Baby R.


It was a fairly laid-back event; we ate, Shrike hid eggs in the front yard for the kids, they hid them in the living room for adults, and we ate some more.


We did get to tell Shrike's mom's cousin and his wife about the baby, and confirmed it for her grandparents. (Right after the first beta, her mom had told them that things looked promising, but they didn't know for sure yet.)


Shrike just showed them the ultrasound and let them figure it out. There was certainly no sorting it out from the picture itself, but Nurse E had labelled Peeper "Baby (Our Last Name)" so that was a pretty good hint.


Everyone left around 8 pm, and before the last person was in their car, I was in my jammies and in bed.


I slept til about 10, now I'm up and waiting for midnight, so I can take my ass-shot and go back to bed.


Oh, and did I mention that, as of yesterday, I seem to be coming down with a cold? Ugh.

7 comments:

  1. Clarification, ie woman-stuff. Whozat's bathroom is frightening at best. I was bound and determined that I was not going to do anything to to it and let her clean it and be damned if we had to redo it before selling the house someday because the stains would never come out. Well, that was ll well and good when she was not pregnant. But I don't want no pregnant wife-o-mine in that Superfund site. God only knows how many heads peeper would come out with. Okay so she showers in there (I can't bear to be in that tiny stall when it is *clean*). So maybe my concern was more for, pregnant Whozat should not be in there with all those cleaning fumes. Okay, and I would rather scrub her scary bathroom any day of the week than cook. So that is my explanation for slipping into the stone age. I know, not good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Oh yeah, and Big Galoot found a very flat Easter Bunny in the middle of the road today. Yum! Luckily for us, rabbits are fast food and can be eaten on the run (or walk).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, touche'

    It was pretty yucky in there, and now it looks great.

    In my defense, I do clean the toilet periodically, the biggest yuckiness was the dust and stuff around the corners of the floor.

    And the shower.

    But it's all shiny-clean now, and I didn't have to breathe any scary fumes.

    Thanks honey!

    (The funniest part of "go do woman-stuff" - other than her being a woman, too, of course - was her implication that bathroom scrubbing wasn't woman-stuff. Not as much as cooking, I suppose.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I better learn how to cook and fast. I spent an hour downstiar trying to figure out how those shelves go together. It would be a lot easier if the moron who took them out of the garage had bothered to pencil directions in on them. They are homemade from studs and plywood. And they look like a good candidate for bulky trash day. I hear tell persistence pays off, but I have never been persistent enough to find out. As I have a liited amount of patience, I think I had better go do something I actually know how to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, I forgot about the Easter family party. We saw your cars in their party parking spots and wondered what was going on. :-)

    Glad Big Galoot had an Easter treat. Mostly I'm glad it was a quick eat...for your sake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, I forgot about the Easter family party. We saw your cars in their party parking spots and wondered what was going on. :-)

    Glad Big Galoot had an Easter treat. Mostly I'm glad it was a quick eat...for your sake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LIPA, you wuld know if we were having a party because you would be invited. The niece was asking if therre were going to be any other kids there. Ooops, sorry, forgot to invite the other children. They were plenty bored, except for the Easter egg hunt. And me with no Godzilla books.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?