Sunday, February 24, 2008

News From the Follicle Front

This morning, Shrike and I made the 1.5 hour drive to the weekend fertility clinic, for monitoring.

We saw a total of 26 follicles this time - 14 on the right, 12 on the left. Of those, seven (5 R, 2 L) were measurable, ranging from 6.5 mm to 12.4 mm.

She said that the others were "behind" them, so I think that they're not measurable because they're hiding, rather than too small. Maybe?

She did, at some point, use the phrase, "Because she has so many," which I took to be a good sign.

Shrike's estrogen is now at 123 (no idea what the units are), which she says is a nice rise from last time, when it was 47.3.

There's not a specific target number that the look for, but it should be rising as the follicles mature. She said we're expecting to see an estrogen of "several hundred" next time.

Shrike will monitor again on Tuesday morning, and her medication dosages will stay the same until then.

After that check, we'll get another call with further instructions. The tentative protocol calls for daily monitoring from that point on.

The nurse estimates that she'll be ready to trigger (follicles > 19 mm) around Thursday, Friday orSaturday, which would mean retrieval Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

Pretty safe guess, I think, given our original target date of Sunday.

In the meantime, my endometrium and I will go in for our close-up tomorrow morning.

4 comments:

  1. "The tentative protocol calls for daily monitoring from that point on."

    Oh man, let's do this right the first time. I know, I need to consult with my ovaries on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for stopping by my blog! i always love hearing from new people :) i wanted to wish you the best of luck this cycle for you and your partner - i can only imagine how it must feel to be sharing the cycle like you are. i must admit it sounds nice to at least be able to share the needle-sticks! my husband is getting off scot-free in that department, though he is quite sympathetic. you two are brave to skip the pre-injection ice pack - they are still pretty painful for me even after numbing myself. oh well, small price to pay, right?

    it sounds like you are in for an exciting weekend with the retrieval coming up, and the follies sound great so i'm sure it will go well! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome, A, and thanks for coming over to say "hi!"

    I guess we have tough tummies, neither of us has been bothered by the sub-q shots at all.

    And even the IMs aren't so bad.

    After 3 clomid/injectible IUI cycles and a mock EEP cycle, it is kind of nice for my honey to be on the receiving end of a few sticks, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honey, I'll give your ovaries a talking-to, if you think it'll help.

    Shrike doesn't mind the shots and all that (altho we'll have to ask her again in a few days after her ovaries have inflated) but she hates the part about driving an hour (or 1.5 hour, on the weekend) early in the morning for monitoring.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?