Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ten on Tuesday #9

Ten Songs That Bring Back Memories

Last week, for our anniversary, Shrike made me a mix CD of love songs. ("Mix CD" just doesn't have the same "ring" to it as "mix tape" does it?)

Back when we were first together - or, more accurately, before we were physically together, when we were just talking online - we made each other several mix tapes.

So, this CD was sort of a triple-whammy - it was sweet that she went to the effort to put it together; listening to each song, it really means a lot to know that she picked it out just for me, and that it says how she feels; and the whole "mix" concept itself brings back memories of our "courtship."

Swoon.

However, all that said - since she went out of her way to include only "new" (not on any of our previous mix tapes) songs on this CD, the specific songs don't really "bring back memories" so much.

But, it's what made me think to go this route and make a list of songs that mean a lot to us, as a couple (rather than the Big 80s Flashback that I was considering at first), so I wanted to explain all that.

Also, because I didn't blog about it at the time, and I should have, so all the interwebs can know how sweet she is.

These are mostly the "prelude" songs from our wedding, which were playing for the last thirty minutes or so before the ceremony, as the guests were seated. Many (most?) came from our mix tapes, and all had special meaning to us in the first three years of our relationship.

  1. Head Over Feet - Alanis Morissette
  2. Carmen - Paula Cole
  3. Keep It Precious - Melissa Etheridge
  4. Power of Two - Indigo Girls
  5. Natural Woman - Aretha Franklin
  6. Ice Cream - Sarah McLachlan
  7. My Love, Sweet Love - Patti LaBelle
  8. From This Moment - Shania Twain
  9. Sleep - Melissa Etheridge (played during the ceremony)
  10. And a bonus, brand new song, which will be played the next time we get married - legally: I've Loved You Before - Melissa Etheridge
Learn More About Ten on Tuesday

2 comments:

  1. Holy crap, I've never heard "Sleep" by Melissa Etheridge but I just googled the lyrics and it's a beautiful song. I just emailed the lyrics to my girlfriend. Thanks! :) Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a nice song. Here is a teeny sample of it. Not to mention this is a little bit funny too:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSSGlVX2URA

    ReplyDelete

What say you?