Monday, October 15, 2007

Blogging for Mother Earth

Today is Blog Action Day, when bloggers everywhere are encouraged to write about one topic - this year, the environment.

I know that we're nowhere near as "green" as we ought to be, but we do try.

A few months ago, we converted to compact flourescent lightbulbs.

We recycle, to the extent that it's available in our area - plastic, glass, aluminum and tin cans.

We try to avoid chemicals and other scary stuff in the yard and around the house.

We generally keep the temperature in the house a bit on the cool side in winter, and try to open windows when the weather is nice instead of running the air conditioner all the time.

There's a great list of other relatively simple things that we could should do, but haven't quite managed yet, at ClimateCrisis.org. Check it out.

6 comments:

  1. What, no lightbulb song? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been talking about doing the light thing. Anonymama has mentioned that she doesn't like them because they don't put out enough light. I think we are going to start with a few and see what we think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We switched to those stupid light bulbs too! Man they are expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I said that I did not like them, not that I do not use them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not noticed a difference in the light from the flourescents, but maybe I'm just not very observant :-)

    They are a bit pricey to buy at first, but once you've got them, you're not buying bulbs again for live seven years.

    Also, they lower your electric bill, so you save even more.

    (Plus that whole saving the Earth thing.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My biggest complaint about the CFL's is that they don't reach max brightness right away. It kinda bugs me. That being said, we are slowly replacing most of the regualr bulbs in our house. One thing I have found is that is a socket with a 60 watt max I can uses a brighter CFL, since it uses less wattage and doesn't get as hot. So I get brighter light AND uses less energy. This is especially helpful in the original fixtures in my 70 year old house.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?